Question about child support.

I'm not in this situation just something I was wondering after watching too much daytime tv lol. Once you are married, legally everything belongs to both of you including money. So say the husband has a child with another woman and is paying child support, right. He gets married to another woman and the new wife has a job. Now does his child support payment stay the same or is it raised because his new wife has a job and it's technically "their" money?

mhaney03

Asked by mhaney03 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• NOOO!!! The new wife doesn't have anythign to do with it. I bring home nearly 100,000 a year.. My husband only brings home about 25,000.. His child support didn't go up and wouldn't because I didn't make that child and that money is mine. LOL. We share it in all aspects but I do not and will not pay his child support.
    Anonymous

• The new wifes income doesn't come into play when the child support is determined. I believe if they file a joint return and the father is behind then they can take her part of the refund as well... But they don't use her income to determine the amount that will be paid, they use the biofather and biomothers income to come to the amount. At least in Missouri.. Not sure about other states.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• It depends on the state.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 2:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• In most states, the 2nd wife's income is not a factor in child support. I think California differs, as my step dad was behind on child support and CA threatened to garnish my mother's wages.

Child support amounts are based on the combined incomes of the biological parents combined.
    Anonymous

• OKay cool, I was just wondering. I watch too much Maury. I need to get out more lol.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Also note that it doesnt "automatically" go up. If you are the person receiving you have to go file for a modification & in my state (missouri) you can only file for a modification every 3 yrs.
    Anonymous

• The mom of some kids I work with didn't pay child support and the state garnished her husbands wages for back support payments. that is all I know on the subject
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 3:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I think its different state to state because here in MN they look at the household income and we both contribute to that.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 3:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2010