I have 2 boys - 9 and 6 years old. Am interested in fun movies we can watch without violence and cursing!

criina

Asked by criina at 2:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Entertainment

• Race to Witch Mountain and Up are awesome!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Instead of "hiding" them from that stuff and not teaching them how to deal with it, why don't you watch all movies together and use it as an oppourtunity to teach them right from wrong and what is and is not acceptable. Stop trying to childproof the world. Worldproof your children.
    Anonymous

• The Veggie Tales are all great. I also have some old Three Stooges and Little Rascals films that my grandchildren absolutley love. You can also buy the old Road Runner cartoons, which I also have. Little House on the Prairie and The Waltons tv series are all available on DVD now. Look for some of the old I Love Lucy, Red Skelton, Dick VanDyke, Carol Burnette tv shows. Children find these hilarious. Look in general for the old stuff. Also, the Sugar Creek Gang dvd's are good and clean.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:33 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Anon.....why in the world would you exopse a 6 year old to violence and cursing, just to "teach them"? Thats messed up!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• my 4 yr old isnt sheltered that way... he loves spiderman and when my second child was sick and dying my family watched my 4 yr old alot... they bought him those movies! one of them is even R rated... but by the time i knew about it. he had aready seen them. yes --ONCE he used a word/phrase from the movies... "damn door" he was punished harshly and quickly and has never said it again... the thing is you know you cannot stop them from knowing the bad words. so you have to eventually teach them that they can know them but not use them... kids are smart enough for that. esp if you as the parent dont use them in real life... some of the movies we have that have no violence and no cussing are "Up, Curious George, Cars (one curse,) Wall-E, FindingNemo..." with a 9 yr old... you are going to run out of stuff that he thinks isnt for babies sometime...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My kids really like: School of Rock, Daddy Daycare, Home Alone, SpyKids, Night at the Museum, Goonies, Big Fat Liar, Matilda .... those are the ones that I see on the shelf. Im sure there are a lot more!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My family loved the movie "Shorts". It's really fun.
    Anonymous

• cloudy with a chance of meatballs was very funny, of course Up is great! Alvin and Chipmunks, i agree Night At Museum I and II, Bee Movie, Shrek is a classic
    New2Florida

Answer by New2Florida at 2:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Because a 6 yr old will run into violence and cursing. Regardless of how sheltered you try to keep them. They might catch a glimpse of the news or see it at someone elses house..anywhere. My son has watched Prededtor since he was tiny, one of his favorite movies, even mars Attacks. He is now almost 14 and he has an even broader taste in movies. He is also very kind, gentle and empathetic towards others. He is very mature, yet, still can play like a child. He is not violent, nor, does he cuss. He has been exposed to the world through travel, interactions with all kinds of people(religion and ethnic background) and through movies. We use every life experience, good or bad, as a learning oppourtunity. My son is very knowledgable in other culture, traditions and even languages. I am very glad he has been "worldproofed".
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• *Predator...geez, I was typing too fast. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2010