How to deal with high school bullying

My son is 15, freshman in high school. He was physicaly attaked the begining of this school year. We have dealt with that. But he is still haveing problems. He hates school, the kids are still giving him a hard time, and some girls are spreading nasty rumors about him. I have talked with the school counselor & principal, but not getting any results. I hate seeing my son so misserable, and the doctor has put him on an anti depresant. I need advice & help!

toughenough

Asked by toughenough at 2:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Homeschool.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• find a lawyer who advocates for special ed kids -they're usually very very good with kids who are not special ed kids too. Ask them what your choices are to help your child stop being bullied and to put it in writing, for his office to mail to the school prinicipal and also, separately, the school district board of education and additionally school district superintendent.

You can get a consult from more than one law office - look on their websites and see who does education law and is it pro school district or do they advocate pro student.

Some law offices that are bigger can cost less seeing an associate instead of a partner. And also sometimes a lawyer will give either a free or less expensive costing consult .
    Anonymous

• Shaolin, or another form of self defense. It builds confidence ( confidence in itself is a deterrent) and teaches how to avoid a fight. It teaches more defense than offense. It really will change the way he sees the world and how he solves problems. I highly recommend giving it a try, it will change his life.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I like the idea of martial arts. It does not promote using violence. It helps with helping them focus on their inner self and yes, how to avoid fights. But should he be attacked it teaches how he can prevent any harm coming to him or even the attacker. It teaches him how to let the bully make an ass out of themselves without him ever laying a hand on them. Having two boys I understand how you feel.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Whys he being picked on?

pisces_chick89

Answer by pisces_chick89 at 6:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• There are laws against bullying. You can actually have the kids doing the bullying arrested. Get your son to start documenting the encounters, make sure teachers and administrators are informed every time, get the school resource officer involved, and file a complaint with the police/sheriff.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:21 AM on Feb. 18, 2010