Indoor Herb Garden...any tips?

I would like to grow my own herbs (Basil in particular).
As it is winter here in NC, I thought I could do it in my kitchen. Any tips on how I can help them grow big?
I tried it this past summer, w/ very bad result! I had them inside for a while, when I saw sprouts, I was elated, but then they seemed to stop growing..so, I put them outside for more sun exposure (Our house is quite dark), but they still did not grow and then fall set in and the winter finally killed them...
Please ... any suggestion would help !
~ The new gardener ~

Nynne

Asked by Nynne at 2:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Get yourself the Aero Garden, it is hydoprondic system for herbs, or anything ese you want to grow inside, it is awesome. It is specially good for basil, it just thrives in this thing, so I always have fresh!! I have mint, basil, parsley, chives and oregano, I love it, it is pricey but I have had it for over two years and still going strong! It runs about 150.00 or so, not to sure if it went up in price.

Answer by older at 2:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2010