how can i cut my son finger nail while he is awake without him scearming bloody mary

he hates when i cut his finger nails so i now dont know what else to do. i tryed doing it while he was sleeping but he ends up waking up

gizmoliz6969

Asked by gizmoliz6969 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• you either let the finger nail grow and fall off on its own, or you can role him up in a blanket leave one arm out, do that hand then the next. but i only did this to my newborns. not at the age you posted this under 3-4
    Anonymous

• I just tell mine that I'm going to cut them one way or another. It doesn't hurt and I'm still going to cut them if you're crying. Then I tell them we can do this one of two way, just let me cut your nails and it will be over with in less than a minute, or I'm going to sit on you and hold you tight while I cut your nails.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 2:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My boys did not like it either (they have sensory issues) and would pitch a fit when I would snip their nails. With my little one I try to do it when he is distracted (like when he is watching tv). Even then he will still fuss, but I tell him to sit still and I will be done soon, and then I start counting down how many fingers are left. Alot of times I will only do 1 hand at a time, and do the other one later on in the day.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:33 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Idk I usually clip them when my 3 year old is asleep. She's a deep sleeper so waking isnt an issue. When she is awake, and they NEED to be done (usually bc she's making a horrible clawing noise all over the furniture like a cat), I tell her her little piggies need to be clipped otherwise they can scratch her. I put on one of her favorite shows and she lets me clip it. Or I get it done while she is in the tub or the carseat. I sit in the back while my hubby drives and just clip it. When she was a newborn, I was terrified of clipping her nails...I filed them instead maybe you could try that? Let him hold the nail file (they make soft ones) and show him how its done. Its about control and understanding how their bodies work at this age so maybe he's scared that they won't grow back. Clip your own nails in front of him to show him it doesn't hurt. Maybe a pretend spa activity? I play "barber shop" when her hair needs to be brushed
    CoolMommy86

Answer by CoolMommy86 at 7:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I clip my sons nails while he is watching tv. He will sit and watch and just let me do it.
    Slieurance

Answer by Slieurance at 10:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2010