Why does someone on here keep saying that ovulation isn't supressed during breastfeeding?

While it's true that breastfeeding shouldn't be relied as the sole form of birth control the mojority of women who exclusively breastfeed (no bottles, no pacifiers, no solid food) DO experience supressed ovulation for the first 6 months. Some women, like myself, don't ovulate until well after a year old.

It's nature's way of naturally spacing children. Any BF mom who's charted, like myself, can tell you that. Plus there are loads of science showing this.

PLEASE whoever is misinforming women on here...STOP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Then explain why my brother was born on my 1st birthday when my mother was exclusively breastfeeding. She obviously ovulated within the 1st 3 mos.
    Anonymous

• I have a friend that breastfed 100% and got prego after 3 months of giving birth to her baby.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• are you inside of all other women's bodies to actually see when our own ovulation occurs? obviously not. a blanket statement like that obviously is misinformed. I've ovulated during my periods when it's thought by some people that ovulation is impossible during period -not, and I've never been stupid enough to think that during my times of no periods post delivery that I wouldn't be ovulating.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• If BOTH of you will READ above it says the MAJORITY of women (not all women) and it says that it shouldn't be used a sole form of birth control!!

The WHO says that less than 2% of women will get pregnant in the first 6 months while EXCLUSIVELY breastfeeding.

There is someone on here that is saying all women ovulate during BF and that's simply NOT TRUE!
    Anonymous

• There are a whole list of "rules" about it. No pacis, nurse on demand, never a schedule, and at least one night nursing.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• It's very possible to ovulate during breastfeeding. I'd say more than %50 of women do it. It's the same reason why NFP isn't a reliable form of birth control. You can ovulate at any time. Regardless of when you do it before. And yes, it is possible to ovulate and have no signs of it.
    Anonymous

• I've heard women (on here actually) who sometimes ovulate without any signs of if and that's how they got pregnant while charting.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• 1:55-

You obviously don't know how NFP works. When it's done correctly it's nearly 100% accurate at preventing pregvnancy.

I do FAM ( a version of NFP) and never gotten pregnant when I didn't want to.
    Anonymous

• I nursed on demand and started solids at six months. I didn't get my period til 11 months and I nursed til 14 months. I was not using protection til I got my period back and then I only used rhythm. I did not get pregnant until I planned to, and when I did, I conceived on the first try. I too am not saying its a fool proof form of birth control, but if getting pregnant isn't the end of the world, I'd rather do it that way than be on BC.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I'd like to know how WHO even knows. The majority of women are using birth control anyway!!!!

fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2010