What happens to the money....

When a senator or congressman decides not to run for reelection, and they have a sum of money in their account for their campaign, what do they do with that money? Does it get returned to the people who donated? How do they determine that? I got to wondering about this after Evan Bayh announced that he would not run for reelection and they said he had $5 million in his campaign chest. What happens to that $5 million?

7

29again

Asked by 29again at 3:10 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• "As long as they make sure they're using contributions in a way that's related to serving in office or campaigning, the recipients of your cash have a few options. They can give it to their political parties, other candidates or political committees, charities, or to the state comptroller for deposit in the state treasury (though a spokesperson for the Comptroller’s office said they don’t have a record of that ever happening). As long as it's used for the express purpose of setting up or helping a scholarship program, candidates can even donate to schools or colleges. State candidates can also opt to refund contributions to donors; the only limit is that they can’t reimburse more money to a donor than that donor contributed during the past two years."

LINK

#4

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I don't know, I guess I always thought it went into the coffers of the party they belong to. Good question...I'll be back for more answers!

1
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• It shoud go back to the party. Maybe Google it?
    Anonymous

• That's a good question. I'd like to know that too. I'd also like to know what is up with the numbers at the bottom of many of your posts.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Thanks, Lorikeet, that was informative! Although, I'm not sure I like every one of the possibilities........if I donate, it is to a specific candidate, not the party. I would be a little ticked if the candidate gave the $ to the party.......but, I suppose that once I donate the money, it is no longer mine to say where it goes, right? Thanks again!

#7
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:57 PM on Feb. 17, 2010