How old should they be when you let them stay home alone????

In WA, were I live, daycares dont take kids after they are 12 (iirc,) but what about the younger sibblings, can they stay home too or not? How old did you wait before letting them stay home alone and/or babysit the younger kids too?

_Kitty_kat_

Asked by _Kitty_kat_ at 3:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son was fine alone earlier than most...but, it isn't an age thing, it's a maturity thing. I wouldn't leave a 12y/o with the younger ones though..no matter her maturity.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• there is no legal age. every kid is different. i havent let mine do it yet he is far too young.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Home alone 12, with serious rules about no answering the door and phone safety. No leaving the house. I would not let a child babysit til 14 and the younger kids would have to be at least 9. Although all this does depend on the child. You have to know the kid can handle an emergency.
    Anonymous

• it depends on the kid. for me i was 9. i was very mature for my age. so thats why i was allowed to be home alone.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My 10 yr old is allowed alone for short times no longer then an hour. She has the rules of no phone, no leaving house or opening door. We are just starting this to see how she handles it. She is doing great. She has a younger sibling but it will be a couple years at least before I would trust her to watch the younger one. Part of that isn't just 10yr olds age it is the younger sibling. Her younger sister will not listen well enough to her older sister and older sister isn't mature enough to enforce rules.
    Anonymous

• It depends on a lot of different factors. I'd leave one kid home alone at an earlier age than I'd leave two older ones.
    Anonymous

• Illinois and Maryland are the only states that legally enforce a specific age. In Illinois where I live it's 14!! I guess I have a lot more years left to pay for a babysitter b/c my daughter is only 10! And I was honestly thinking of letting her stay home alone after school in 2 yrs when she got into junior high. Guess not!
    Anonymous

• I realized my Q is vague
    I mostly was wondering at what age do you let your kids stay home if you just need to run an errand for less than an hr close by.
    My kids are not old enough for me to be ok with it, not all of them anyway.
    The oldest is mature, but I am NOT ready for that yet, even if she IS.
    #2 is immature and doesnt respect her older sister enough to trust them both home.
    And the other 2 are just way too young anyway.
    I have friends that are starting to leave their kids home and I wonder if I am just being over protective or just know MY kids are not ready, or what.
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 3:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My DD is only 7 1.2yrs old, so she isn't allowed to stay home alone yet...... But, when I was younger I was babysitting other children at the age of 10-11yrs...
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 4:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I guess about 12 or 13. But not all day. I think there is a law in our state that kids under 12 can't be left alone and parents can get in trouble.
    Anonymous