Would you?

Would you use a "used" breast pump? I am looking at a Medela but the ones I am interested in are into the hundreds. I can save if I buy used but it is just creeping me out (germs etc) what do you think?

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 3:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• well you should get new tubes for the pump. the milk doesnt go in the pump just the tubes. when my son was in the nicu they had pumps there that everyone used with their own tubing and that kept it clean and safe (blood born diseases are in breast milk!) but the actual pump itself should be clean. you can also rent a pump if you want a really good one. i suggest the medela models that have high power. they really work well i could get about 4oz out of each boob every 4 hours! dont get a manual pump. dont get the cheap (like 50 dollar) evenflo pump. doesnt suck the same.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I would. I would just clean it really good that's all.

Answer by louise2 at 3:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• the pump is just a machine- no one is rubbing titty juice on it. get the medela and buy accessories on amazon
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I got free tubes from the hospital and my ob's office when I had my babies.. Maybe check with them first, they may have some you can use. I never used or opened mine so I donated them to the local pregnancy assistance center.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I did have a single breast evenflo before (like $50) from walmart and it worked so-so and took too long so ya I want to try the kind that come built into their own bag.Do you just enter the model number of the pump to buy new tubing? Also do these pumps take special bottles? Or can you use the ones you already have?
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 3:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Mrs leftlane: I will have to check with the hospital, thats a great idea!!!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 3:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• You can get new tubes etc and should be fine. Technically, Medela tells you that the personal pumps are for one person use only because of risk of cross contamination but for the life of me, I never could figure out how milk would get in the pump. I borrowed a Medela pump for each of my 3 babies and never had a problem.

The other thing you can do is rent a commercial grade pump from the hospital or from your local pharmacy. That usually ends up being cheaper than buying a new pump.

Good Luck!
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• nope never do that please,if you have to breast feed only and not use a pump do that better than a used one,its not good ask any doctor,please dont do that i beg you.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 3:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• As long as what comes in contact with the milk and you is new (still vacuum sealed), go for it. The motor still runs the same used or new, and really can't pass anything onto you or the milk from a previous owner.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• LMAO @ TITTY JUICE HAHAHAHA
    Anonymous