Why do some people think you should choose between being a mother and having a career?

Why do people think it's impossible to do both?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't know but I'm not one of those moms. I can be a mom and have a career at the same time.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• because its reality,you cant give 100% to your child if your there only 50% of the time,can you be a good mommy still? ofcourse you can, moms come in all different styles but the truth is you are sharing your time between work and motherhood and some have to im not bashing anyone,but other have a choice and they pick motherhood over career ,they feel they wanna give their all to what ever they pick and that is okay as well.I put my life on pause for my kid,i can wait till he goes off to school to do what i wanna do,but if my husband wouldnt have giving me this great chance i would be in school and done by now,and working but i give my 100% to what ever i do,and my son always comes first, im on pause not on stop.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 3:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• because if you want to stay home. your career takes a serious hit (year of not working. missing that experience) i know you can have both but it is a LOT of balls to keep in the air at once. it certainly can be done (i do it now) but it is not easy.... also when you have to call off work because your kid is sick/ has something happening people w/o kids see that as you getting to slack because you have kids....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• being a mother is a full time "career"
    Anonymous

• "because its reality,you cant give 100% to your child if your there only 50% of the time"

In reality, if you are giving 100% to your child then you aren't doing for yourself or your husband which in turns leads you not being able to give 100% to your child in the end because you can't give 100% of yourself that you don't have invested in yourself and if you become a single mother because you let your marriage fail, you still won't be giving 100%. It's all about balance.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Because people are lazy. I had a career and am obviously a mother. My husband stayed home with the kids. Who says it has to be the mom? Also, my career was teaching, so I was only gone when they were. I don't see the problem.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Being a mom is not a career. It's a choice.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 4:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• It's not meant to be an insult or anything - it's just that basic things like kids being sick, maternity leave, etc simply get in the way of really aggressively chasing a career path.

You probably can have a career with children, it's just not likely to be as advanced as one you would have without kids.
    Anonymous

• And while I understand that having a career is a choice too, there are different kind of choices.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• im not calling anyone a bad mom, i answered a question,some people do both and its ok,some pick one,either way please do read my answer because i called noone a bad mom.what ever they pick is ok either way they can still be a great mom.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 4:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2010