Do you worry when you take your baby(s) out?

I have a 2yr old & 7week old baby. Im just scare to take them out so many people are sick. Im scare they might pick up some once cold. I been to the store & to the Dr's. but ill just go out if i really have too, other than that im always home. Im going crazy of just being in the house & i know my 2yr old must feel the same way.

What do you do to keep your babys safe out side?

Do you feel the same way or am i just been paranoid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do I worry about it? A little. Do I let it keep me cooped up? No. I wash my hands, and my kids hands when we get home, before we eat and occasionally while we are playing I will stop them and spray some hand sanitizer (on my older kid's hands). Winter is too long to stay inside the entire season! Besides, if you've been to the drs, then your kids were probably exposed to more "bugs" there than they would be at an indoor playground. Go out and have fun!

Answer by missanc at 4:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I think that you are just a little paranoid but then again a childs health is important. I dont worry about other peoples colds much because some things have to be done and my children would be nuts cooped up all day. So doctors have even told me its not horrible for a child to get sick because it strengthens their immune system.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Just go for a walk. No one has to touch you. I work and take my baby out all the time. The fresh air does us both good. She's 5 months and hasn't been sick even though I and my husband were both sick with a nasty cold when she was a month old and my husband was sick with a stomach virus when she was nine weeks old. I breastfeed though, so she's got the antibody protection.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• If they arent exposed to anything they are more likely to get sicker when they do finally get something. just be smart about it but not overly protective.
    Anonymous

• I can't really say, I took mine out. He never was really sick ever, not even an ear infection. I did breastfeed him for hte first month. I wish i did it longer, but, I was young and dumb. I made sure he did eat healthy and wore appropriate clothes for the weather and a hat and coat if need be. Not much you can do..but, staying indoors away from other isn't healthy either. They need to be exposed a little and develope immunities naturally. HTH
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• nope, your a lil paranoid
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• A little exposure is good for the immune system. Would I hang out at the library playing with the kids toys on a daily basis? No. I also wouldn't visit a McDonald's or Burger King play place this time of year.
    Anonymous

• I worry about it too and take that whole thing about exposing kids to germs with a grain of salt. This is RSV season and I have never understood exposing babies to colds just to help "build immunity". I didn't take my kids out when they were newborn. I've heard of people going straight from the hospital to a store or someone's house. When I take them out, I dress them appropriately, we don't tend to stand right next to people who are hacking and coughing and I clean mine and my son's hands when we leave the store. That last one alone works wonders. I also have my baby in her stroller so people don't usually try to run up and touch her or talk to her. That bugs me even if that person isn't sick. You don't have to go out every day but it's so hard to be inside all the time.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My children and I have a genetic immune deficiency disease and now my 16 mo grandson also has it. Some of the things people worry about aren't such a big deal. There are some things that are high risk.

Washing hands is important but you don't want to use a lot of antimicrobial soap or hand sanitizer. Plain water is actually ok. Soap can dry skin and make cracks for infection. Antimicrobials can allow overgrowth of resistant bacteria.

Avoid crowds, places where there are kids, movies, church, and shopping during busy times. Don't go out with a baby for 6 weeks, longer if formula fed. Keep a baby in a sling. Eat out right when places open or the middle of the afternoon. Have the first doctor appointment of the day.

Go to parks and other places when no one is there. My kids couldn't even go to school. My grandson probably won't be able to either.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Thanks Ladys. My baby is freastfed so i think that helps her alot. Im going to try not to be so protective.
    Anonymous