Is daycare harmful?

Infants, by design, were meant to be with their mothers. You can't argue that, can you? So then, wouldn't it be harmful to put your infant in daycare?

Blah, blah, blah, I know some people have to work/go to school/etc (Although I do both of those and still do not put my son in daycare)--I don't care. That's not the point of the question. Just because it's what you "have" to do, doesn't change whether or not it's harmful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't think so. Granted, my DD didn't go until she was 6 months old (she's almost 2), and has only gone 2-3 days a week 1/2 days since. I honestly, truely, honestly, believe that going to day care is actually a really good experience for children, if you can find a good one. I think that interacting with other kids is vital to growing and functioning.

You may be right as an infant it isn't a good thing, but once they get a little older, I don't see harm in it AT ALL.
    Anonymous

• LMAO STUPIDITY IS ALSO HARMFUL
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Harmful may be a little strong.. I dont think it causes any kind of permanent damage, but i think it makes those young years tougher on the child and the parent, and how they cope with that--could potentially cause some issues that may carry on. I think it's way more emotionally scarring for me to miss out on all the things that other mothers got to see and do with their infants than it was detrimental to him. He has no memory of it, and we obviously were able to bond just fine. He is my world and I am his!

I am curious how you managed to finish school while working enough to support yourself without seeking outside care.

AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Some can be. Not just physically but emotionally too. My aunt runs a daycare in greece NY and I've heard her pick on the kids there right to their faces, Calling them ugly and whatnot. I dont think all are like that its just not something I want to suggest my kids to!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I think it really comes down to an individual's circumstances and goals for their children. My first two were daycare kids and have incredible immunities and social skills. My third was home with me from the start and has horrible seperation anxiety still at the age of 2 3/4 and catches every little bug that comes home from public school.

Some children will thrive in a healthy and educational daycare environment and some children were meant to be with their own family.

There are too many factors in this question to even try to fully address it. Obviously the poster does not agree with a daycare setting but other families will have great success with one.

Once again, the whole concept that parenting doesn't come with a rule book or manual will cause problems for people who want to debate.
    Shmop

Answer by Shmop at 4:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• It's not damaging.

Do a good check on the place you're sending your child. Then you're good to go.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 4:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Part time, QUALITY daycare didn't hurt my grad school (highest honors) and University freshman (Merit Scholar) grown children. What matters is healthy, involved, engaged and interested parents. No more, no less. A crappy, disengaged FT mother (and yes, there are plenty) provides no superior or safer environment for a child than FT daycare, imo-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Not harmful at all! in fact i think its good for them. my kids go 2times a week for 5hrs both days. I like it because it gives them the chance to get to know other kids and play and learn new things. It also give me a little ME time to get some cleaning and whatnot done. I would NEVER put my kids in home daycare!! only group daycares. Ive seen too many bad things with the home daycares. My friends mom had one and was always yelling at the kids and saying bad stuff to them.
    luvmyboysjj

Answer by luvmyboysjj at 6:46 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Im having the same problem im so scared my husband decided i didnt have to work but i d would finish school and im scared shock of my 5 month old getting sick but i would do a daycare facility not home u dont know who comes in a persons home and also if its more adults around its better its the hardest choice ive ever had to make in life.
    Quanishia

Answer by Quanishia at 3:39 AM on May. 13, 2010