What age was your child the first time you went on vacation without them?

I've been bugging my husband for years to take me on a cruise, well all of a sudden he decides we can look into it. However i never actually thought he would go for it. Well now i'm having a small panic attack lol. Just thinking about leaving my son for a week. If we did go he would be around 2. I would totally trust leaving him with my mother in law but i am sick to my stomache when i think about leaving him for that long. So i just wondered if anyone else went away for that long without there children and how you managed.

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• She's two, and we're going to Vegas in a few weeks.....
    BUT WE'RE TAKING HER! LOL I am like you, I wouldn't even have a good time because I would just worry about her the whole time!

Good luck, though!
    Anonymous

• umm I'm going to guess that they will prolly be over the age of 18 at least. I would never go somewhere on vacation without my child. Wouldnt you want to spend it with them? We have planned a few vacations and ALL included our kids:) Why dont you want to bring your son along?
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• 2 is a good age. We went to Vegas for 3 days when our son was 2 years old.

This year I'm also panicking about my husbands presidents club vacation in the middle of March. My baby girl is going to be 3 1/2 months old and with my sister for 5 days. I almost want to not go, it's hard. I've never left any of my kids that long. My son is 4 so I'm fine leaving him for it. I'm going to miss them both. : /
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 4:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My husband and I left our son at his parent's house overnight when he was 10 months to celebrate our anniversary, but we stayed at a hotel in town. We were planning on going to the beach for a weekend when he was 18 months this spring/summer but I am pregnant again, due in July so that kinda puts those plans on hold.
    To go for a week? I probably won't be ready to do that until they are in elementary school. But by then I definitely will be ready for some one on one vacation with my husband. My parents did it while I was growing up - they would go on a 4-5 day vacation for just the two of them every year and they went places that they A) couldn't afford to take 5 kids along to and B) were a little more romantic for just the two of them.
    The best gift you can give your kids is a good relationship with their dad, so if you think it will help then that's what you need to focus on. But he is awful young!

Answer by missanc at 4:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I understand why you wouldn't want to take him, especially on a cruise. But I'm the same as these moms, I couldn't do it that young! My parents had 5 kids and ALWAYS took us on their vacations, except for their anniversary weekend, where they went out of town (4 hour drive) for a weekend. They didn't do that until the youngest of us was 8 though. My poor parents, they couldn't get away from us!
    Anonymous

• I've only ever been on one trip since I've been married. In July 2004 we went to New Hampshire and Maine. We left the kids with my sil and mil. They were 4, almost 3 and almost 2. We were gone a week and I needed the break. I was so exhausted from dealing with the kids that I could barely function any more. We had a good time and the kids had a blast hanging out with their cousins and eating junk food.
    We haven't been away from them since then because we no longer have family that are capable of caring for them. Heck we didn't have a single date from that trip until our 9th anniversary...January 2009. That's the last time we went on a date. There is always one kid with us at least it seems.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My son has been on every vacation with me..of course, I am not married and we went with my single mom. LOL We started at age 4 months and every year since.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Don't feel bad about not taking your 2 year old with you... you guys need a much needed break and need to 'feed' your relationship. You two are the ones who hold your family together, so you need to relax with one another and remember that. Sorry to say, but your son will have way more fun spending a weekend at grandmas! LOL it will get him out of his routine a little bit and he will be in heaven! I also have a 2 year old, she just spent the weekend with my parents because we had a marriage seminar/retreat to go to.... and she will be with my parents for a week when we go on our honeymoon, I am a little nervous about that, but we all need some time to ourselves! He will be fine, enjoy your time together.
    lhunt8

Answer by lhunt8 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Before children, I would go away 2-3 times a year. Since children, that has changed dramatically! My eldest was 1 when I left him with my DH to visit my friend, and I was pregnant with #2 at the time. My MIL kept them when they were 2&3 so that my DH & I could go away one weekend. And the last time I went away with my sister was in 2006. In November, I tried to make plans with my cousin to go to Trinidad's Carnival (yesterday) until my eldest caught wind of it and asked: "So, WE're going to Trinidad? With Cousin Hazel?" He's got the "travel bug," and he got it honestly! LOL! We've gone away as a family for the past two years(with the in-laws last year), and we've had a blast! So, we're all going to Grand Cayman in April.
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 5:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Mine are 12 and 16. We believe we made a family and vacations should be done as a family. We have never gone on vacation without them. We love to be around our kids.
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 5:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2010