How do you handle infant constipation when they are only eating formula?

My daughter has unusually hard poops. We have tried all types of formula but it stays the same. What can I do to help with this problem?

scotner1541

Asked by scotner1541 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• keep changing formula. what have you try
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I've tried milk based, milk based- lactose free and soy based.
    scotner1541

Answer by scotner1541 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• put cucumber slices on er butt
    Anonymous

• With my first it was so bad. Her Dr and the specialist we saw recommend a Chiroprator and it has helped so much.
    Anonymous

• mmm maybe is a specific ingredient her tummy doesnt like
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I used Enfamil Gentlease...unfortunately, you may have to keep switching until you find one that doesn't affect your baby like that. My baby had a diarrhea problem, but when I switched, he had constipation. He always suffered bad gas pains, so I also used Mylicon Infant Drops. Ask your pediatrician what she would recommend...

Hang in there! I know it feels so terrible to know your baby is hurting. Constipation/gas/diarrhea are the worst pains your newborn has ever felt!
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• That's what happens to many babies when they don't get human milk, one of the disadvantages of formula. Human babies can't handle the milk of other mammals well. Formula is an attempt to do the best they can to get babies to survive the first year without human milk. There are lifelong health consequences of feeding babies cow's milk or soy beans.

Anything you do can be worse than the baby being constipated. Babies should not have any juice or fruit before 4 months.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• gaill my dd was ff and she drinks whole milk and has no problems. my son was bf and at 10 1/2 mts i switched to whole milk no problems. all my nieces and nephews have been formula feed and at 11 mts started cow milk and no problem. so bs. breastfeed babies can get constipated too
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Cucumber slices??????????

Are we curing constipation or making a salad?

OP, you may need to keep trying till you find something that works.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Normal exclusively breastfed babies don't get constipated. It's common for formula fed babies to get constipated.

No baby should ever be given cow's milk before 12 months. It can cause organ damage. Formula was invented because cow's milk causes organ damage and death in babies less than 12 months.

Formula feeding has lifelong health consequences but that doesn't have anything to do with this and you don't care.

I kind of like the cucumber idea. Maybe it makes the baby feel like pooping. Couldn't hurt. LOL
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2010