How do you get them potty trained in panties!?

DD has been training for about 3 months now... we let her run around naked and she sits whenever she has to pee! We take her to the stores, she tells me right away every time and doesn't wet her diaper! She USED to tell me at home when she had to pee if she had panties on, however lately she just pees in the panties no matter what! I am at a loss at this point... if I don't get upset with her how will she learn? But I've read and heard punishing them can set them back farther!??! How do you get past this stage??! She even stays dry at night but pees right when she wakes up in the morning. (she's 27 mos now)

07lilmama1108

Asked by 07lilmama1108 at 4:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i whip my child each time they pee in tehre pants at potty training time.. i will guarentee she will start using the potty. yeah im a strict mom.
    Anonymous

• No I wouldn't get mad at her. Perhaps she's just not ready yet though. When I took the pull up off DD she was 3 yrs old. Had one accident and then she never did it again. I'd just give her time.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Anon I'm a spanking mother but never once did I even think of spanking for an accident. Its never a good reason and IMO abuse to make them feel wrong for something they can't control. They are just learning to recognize when their body has to go. Give them time and stop trying to rush nature.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Anon 46 - you are not strict, you are abusive. I feel sorry for your child. You'll whip in front of the wrong person one day.

To the OP - Some regression is normal. Give her some time and positive reinforment. Associating accidents and toilet training with punishment is not going to help anything. I know it's frustrating, I've been through it but they do learn. You'll do a lot of laundry but they learn.
    Anonymous

• She is ready, she can pull her panties down and go, tells me when she has to go and hadn't had an accident until this last week.... we first tried when she was 18 mos and she would only go in stores at that time so we quit and waited. I get the feeling she thinks panties are just like a diaper.... how do you reverse that? We don't use pullups unless we are out because they are so expensive for such a little pack
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• *reinforcement
    Anonymous

• Another thing is she is only 27 months. It takes many children the better part of a year to complete potty training. Some learn faster than others. Give it some time. And I think you're doing the right thing with the underwear instead of pull ups.
    Anonymous

• Thank you very much ladies! I know they aren't trained overnight and read they can regress, but UGH! lol no wonder mom always said this was the worst part!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My DS turned 2 in December he wears underwear all day but still cant do it overnight he is too deep of a sleeper. If he goes in his underwear he gets put in the corner and if he does it on purpose he gets a swat. He has been dry since Christamas eve minus the past couple days (not really sure why just one accident a day the past 3 days) so he goes in the corner for 2 min and we talk about where his pee goes when he gets out.
    Nicsone

Answer by Nicsone at 5:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• ANO IS JUST A BITCH!! HORRIBLE MOTHER POOR KIDS.
    anyways my dd was potty train by 2, but at 34 mts she started to have alot of accidents. i talked to her and we did time out. it lasted about 2 weeks and no more accidents
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2010