is it legal??

There is a new dent and bent store in my town. They had some good deals on diapers and wipes and a few other things. I went to look in the food sections and was about to buy some food items. When I went to look at the expiration dates som e of them were a year old or older! Baby food, mac n cheese, canned foods, cereal, pastas, salad dressings, and more! is this legal??? dont they have to tell you that the food is really expired?? is it safe to eat some of this food thats this old and expired by that long?? its not even really that much cheaper than the food they have at walmart.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Food & Drink

• why dont you take it up with the store and say something
    Anonymous

• I dont know i guess im nervous to say something??...the store is run by omish people. not that it makes them any different than me. I guess i could say something.
    Anonymous

• If it is a "dent & bent", as you call it, it is usually expected that packaging may be damaged and expiration dates long past, so I don't believe that it's illegal to sell. If it were fresh foods, yes, then it would be a problem, but for dried & canned foods, those expiration dates are merely guidelines for the not too bright and if the foods are stored properly, you can use them well past their expiration dates without any problems. Just know what you are looking for when you check those foods for spoilage before consuming.
    Anonymous

• There are actually stores who are licensed to sell expired items. They had it on the news not long ago. The expired date is the "best if used by" date. Many items have a shelf life of much longer. So yes it's legal

Answer by admckenzie at 10:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• While some foods are ok past the exp date, you never are supposed to use baby food past the exp date. Babies are more supseptible to food poisoning than grown ups are, who've been around a while and built up a tollerence to many bacteria and such.  I have had exp baby food in my pantry before.  My first 2 kids are 20 months apart, so when my first baby out grew baby food before eating it all I saved it for my second baby.  I opened a few of the jars just a month or two after the exp date and it was already darker than usual and had a funny smell.

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:20 AM on Feb. 18, 2010