Do you ever want to tell people how to raise thier kids?

I watch my 3 yr old cousin all week day and night, and on the weekends he's with his dad. His dad is working full time and going to school. He lets his son get away with everything and on Mondays its tantrum city up until Wednesday. he has absolutly no boundaries with his son and he gets treated like a 24 hr jungle gym. I end up nagging my uncle about it, but then feel guilty afterward. Do you ever want to tell people "Hey! Wake Up! your kids out of control!"

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I want to tell my daughter that she is way too protective ...kind of a helicopter parent....but I know there is no way she would listen. You just have to stand by and hope she figures it all out herself. Ugh.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 6:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• no i mind my own bus. i dont like ppl telling me what to do
    Anonymous

• frustratedNope.IBut,  that's part of the reason why we stopped having sleepovers with my nephews.  I learned a long time ago that you cannot tell grown folks what to do with their:  money; love life; and/or children.  Or, you can.  They'll just ignore you, though.

jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 5:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Yep Id like to tell my daughter shes raising a monster. But I doubt she would listen. So I get to hear here bitch and moan about how her son kicks her, hits her, screams etc. I am hoping she catches on why he does it.
    Anonymous

• I would like to tell a friend of mine a few things ... But I figure its not my place.
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 5:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Sometimes, when I see my 3 year old niece walking around with candy or soda after she already had to have her entire row of front teeth capped because they were rotting away. Or when she hits her mom or her sisters and gets in no trouble whatsoever. She is "daddy's little princess" and apparently can do no wrong. If she does do something "bad" her older sisters get in trouble because "they should have been watching her." I don't know why my sister lets her get away with so much. She was never that way with her older girls and she expects them to be perfect, but she doesn't hold the same standard to her youngest and it bugs me so much. Not that I expect a 3 year old to be perfect, I just wish she would let up on the older ones a little, they aren't bad kids and give the little one more discipline or she is going to grow up to be one heck of a brat!

Anonymous

• Your cousin is with you a lot. Just make sure when he gets out of hand you handle it right then and there. Make sure to explain the house rules to the little one with his father there. Don't make the rules unreasonable and try to not go over board. Start with a few simple ones and go from there. Make sure to keep a routine but it may take some trial and error. Is he more calm with an activity right when he comes in or would he do better with quiet time. Would giving him a healthy snack help or watching a little educational TV work. Just see what works for him and for you. All in all make sure that everyone is on the same page about keeping the chaos down.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2010