my daughter will be 15 months on the 29th

took her to the doctor today and her doctor is still worried about her weight and told us to put her on pedi sure..she dont drink milk but she will eat alot and she still isn't gaining weight...Any idea's on what i can do to get her to gain weight.her doctor told us to come back in a month to check it again and if it didnt change she was going to send us to a specialist but my husband is thinking that if she dont gain weight that they are going to call department of social service on us but we are doing everything to gain weight....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• could she have an underlying health problem?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• We dont know yet
    Anonymous

• How much does she weigh? Is she below the 3rd percentile?

You can put butter or olive oil on her food to boost calories. She can have juice as long as it doen't give her diarrhea. It's better to increase fat than to increase sugar. Lots of meat if possible for iron and brain growth.

My grandson is 17 mo and weighs 19 pounds. He has a health problem that has slow weight gain or ftt as one of the warning signs. We feed him all the time, it's not that he doesn't eat. We take him to buffets and he eats as much as some adults.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My 3 sons had the same disease my grandson has and when they were little doctors didn't know it made kids have trouble gaining weight. It's a very rare disease. They were the first kids in Indiana to be diagnosed. I didn't have problems with doctors giving me a hard time about my older 2.

Doctors did give me a hard time about my youngest and his weight and accused me of starving him. He was being seeing at a major children's hospital. They hospitalized him and watched me. They wanted to tube feed him. Lots of threats. I was able to find another doctor at another hospital that believed I was feeding him and he also had some problems with food textures. Once he was treated for that he gained a little better and the pressure of calling cps was off.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Ummm . . . your dr seems a bit too paranoid to me. My daughter is 19 months and has only gained 1 pound since 12 months, but has grown 4 inches in height. I asked her doctor about it, because I was a little worried, but her dr isn't concerned at all. Many toddlers go through a picky stage and also the weight gain decreases dramatically, because they're so active. How much does your child weigh?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• By the way, she was 25lbs 7oz and 29 1/4inches at her 12 month check up. As of her appt yesterday, she is 26lbs 6oz and 33 1/4inches long.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• she weights 17 lbs
    Anonymous

• I understand what you are going through. My son is in the 4% for weight. He is 15 months old and has been a breastfed baby. He too refuses to drink milk, he prefers juice. He is an active and healthy boy. But I understand how hard it is when the doctor questions how much or often you feed your baby. We too have been threatened to be sent to a specialist. He continues to grow, even if it is slowly. He also continues to eat...alot. Some babies are just small. Don't be hard on yourself! Some babies just don't fit into their "mold". And that's okay. As long as your baby is happy, healthy, and thriving. She will be okay. Good Luck!! :)
    janelnoel

Answer by janelnoel at 11:43 AM on Feb. 18, 2010