How can I get my baby to sleep through the night?

My dd is 6 1/2 months old and she still gets up 2-3 times every night. My oldest dd started sleeping through the night at 3 months and still does at 2 1/2 years. I've tried making her bottles smaller to try to wean her off of them throughout the night but she cries when they run out and I have to get more. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All children are different. My 3 yr old still does not sleep through the night.
    Anonymous

• Well...it's developmental. YOU cannot get her to do that any more than you can get her to walk tomorrow...she needs to grow into it. You CAN be consistent about a sleep routine. You CAN check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley...it will reassure you. But sleeping through the night is a mere five hours and isn't often acheived consistently in the first year.

She's normal. In fact...your son would be the "weird" one. **grin** He forgot to read the memo that specifically instructs babies NOT to sleep and to make sure their parents never get to!

Answer by gdiamante at 5:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I'd say your first was a bit out of the ordinary. This is normal at this age. Sorry :(
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• She's normal. You waste more time and energy trying to force it than to work with it. She'sobviously waking for hunger. Some babies just can't fast a long time. Consider 5 hours a sleep through when it happens. If she eats and resumes sleep. conside that a good thing. If you mess around with her needs it might backfire. I know you would like more sleep, but parenting doesn't end at sundown kwim? -- the babies who sleep long streyches are unusual.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• If you're feeding her less, of course she's going to wake up more - she's hungry! Give her more, not less, and *maybe* you'll get one less wake-up. But babies are not supposed to sleep 12 hours at this age - a 5-6 hour stretch is considered "through the night". When she wakes up, get up, give her what she needs & wants. Don't try to force her to sleep any longer, because she'll fight you.
    Anonymous

• I have to disagree with the pp's - it's not all that unusual for babies to sleep long stretches at night by 6 months. All 4 of mine were sleeping 12 plus hours at that age, as were most of my friends babies. You may need to feed her more formula more often during the day to get in her caloric needs. She should be eating at least every 3 hours, whether it's solids or a bottle or both. Try upping her intake during the day so she's not so hungry at night. Give her a small blanket or a tshirt that you've been wearing under your shirt to take to bed with her for your smell to comfort her. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 9:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• While it may be true that many babies this age are sleeping through the night, it is also very normal for a baby this age to NOT be sleeping through the night. My 1st didn't sleep through the night until almost a year, the 2nd started sleeping through the night at 6 months, my current is almost 8 months and no where near sleeping through the night. She still nurses at least 3 times.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• 12 hour sleeps is not the usual scenario. The vast majority of adults and children don't sleep for that long without waking to pee or for thirst or for hunger or just to adjust for temperature. The differance is that an adult can get up if they want to pee or have a drink or snack by themselves, and babies can't. 12 hours is a very long time to go without peeing or eating for babies. It may happen temporarily during a growth spurt, but it is not a usual sleeping pattern.

I think it is asking for trouble to mess with a natural sleeping pattern. What might seem like a good idea now can become a potty training nightmare later. I suppose you can choose to sleep now and wake later. But at some point, there will be nighttime to deal withn for some reason.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:08 AM on Feb. 18, 2010