Breastfed children and Formula fed children are the same

How come most children who were formula fed are just as healthy as children who were breastfed. Sure, there might be some benefit to breastmilk, paticularly when they are babies, but is it really that significant? In the long run, whether you were breastfed or formula fed, you are going to turn out the same. Breastfeeding is a wonderful thing that is not shameful, and shouldn't be hidden, but I just can't help wondering why there is little difference between people who were breastfed and people who weren't.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• have you done scientific studies on this?
    Anonymous

• My nephew was breastfed and he is a healthy 2yr old. My dd was FF and is a healthy 20 month old. The only difference is when my nephew gets sick, sometimes with the 'same thing' he is always a lot sicker than my dd.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Yes I have done the research. But if you look at adults now, can you tell who was breastfed and who wasn't?
    Anonymous

• Their parents are less stressed out because breastfeeding costs less than formula! hahaha
    Anonymous

• My dh wasn't (his mom had cancer), I was. He's always more healthy, ALWAYS. Never gets sick. I get sick. I formula fed both kids, they are no sicker or healthier than other kids. My Dad is an OB/GYN and told me to do what I was happy with.
    Anonymous

• I've never noticed any difference. I think other factors play a much bigger role in health.
    My kids were 100% formula fed and are rarely ever sick and when they do get sick it's just a head cold (runny nose, cough, maybe a slight sore throat) and they are better in a day or two. My oldest is almost 10 and in 10 years, between 4 kids we've had 1 ear infection and 1 case of the flu and they were both last year (with my oldest, 9, and my son, 8). My younger two kids, 7 and almost 4, have never seen a doctor for anything other then well check ups. I have friends that breastfed exclusively for an extended time and her kids are much sicker then mine.
    I was always sick as a kid and I was formula fed. I figure it had more to do with my mom smoking a pack a day (while pregnant with me and most of my life). Once I moved out of the house I stopped getting sick all the time. Now I get the flu once or twice a year and a some colds.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2010