im am going to pull out all of my hair and lock myself in a room!!

my son is almost two and he is being horrible. I am the only one who watches him. My family isnt any where around where we live, so anything and everything i do he comes with me. Well i went to get a hair cut (last time he sat on my lap and did so good) but this time he was kicking me and screaming and he'd manage to get to the floor and he did the whole leg melting things... ugh! It was awful. Then when i went to pay they didnt except visa only check and cash so i had to write a check.. well he was throwing a HUGE fit and i would try to pick him up and he would kick me and scream, twist and turn. While this was happening i knocked everything off their desk and having to try and write a check pick my son up off the floor and try to keep him in my arms and pick up the cards i dropped.. I just dont know what to do... i guess never get my haircut again.. i need nanny911. plus im pregnant with number two...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Why don't you try locking him in a room?
    Anonymous

• oh im sorry:( wheres his dad? leave him at home next time?
    Anonymous

• oh now come on
    Anonymous

• i dont have locks on any of my doors only the front and back door and im not locking him outside lol who know where he would end up!!
    Anonymous

• He needs a good spanking and time out, that behavior is not ok. You wrestle him when you need to discipline the behavior right then and there.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• next time find the nearest secluded chair and pop him in a time out, people r used to kids screaming and always have suckers in your purse if you need him still for 20minutes or so, welcome to the terible twos, it only gets better. and be active in ur community go to storytime playdates be active. good luck add me if you need a freind
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 6:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• they call it the terrible two's for a reason...

Ack--I wouldn't take him anywhere with you for awhile that requires him to sit still for a long time-it just isn't going to happen.

I always had an arsenal of toys and things in my bag for just such occasions....but 2 year olds get overwhelmed very easily and they cry out of frustration about being tired or about not being able to express themselves.

The good news-it does get better....
    Anonymous

• thats funny,, seriously if i left the door open for a second god knows where my little one would go... the older ones smart he stays near
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 6:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Toddlers are not equipped to handle sitting still for prolonged periods of time. Hitting him will only teach him "if I act up mommy will hit me" what does that teach? time your outings to shorter periods of time. Either get a sitter to watch him or get his father to help.  This is the time to help him grow, if you listen to the people who say just hit him then he is learning to strike out when he is frustrated. Parents need to be honest, we spank when we are angry not when we are calm. Who hits when they are calm? If they say they spank when everything is calmed down then they are one sick puppy. Hitting at any time is wrong.

Anonymous

• I agree with truealaskanmom. But I would IGNORE his freak outs completely even if it is KILLING YOU. Let him spaz out on the floor of the hairdressers, who cares? Giving it any attention seals the deal for him, ether negative or positive. Next time, ignore it and when you need to leave, pick him up and haul him out on your shoulders in you have to. The only time I ever spanked was around ages two and three and very few times but it worked. My dh and I were tough as nails but consistent. We left restaurants, let them pitch fits on the sidewalk, etc. Timeouts were useless for us and many other parents I know. I did read The Happiest Toddler on the Block, which states basically that they are very frustrated by not being able to communicate. So in your example, you'd turn to the child and say, "YES, GO, GO, GO. You want to GOOOOO HOME I understand that! But Mom has to get her hair cut and then we'll GO GO GO home." Caveman talk.
    Anonymous