Is it normal to be closed (dilation-wise) at 37 weeks?

I was just wondering. They said I was closed and they didn't say anything about the perecentage of being effaced, so I'm assuming there's nothing going on there either.

kristenstarks

Asked by kristenstarks at 6:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yep...normal...
    Anonymous

• some women are dilated at a 3 for weeks before labor some can be tight closed and not effaced and go in to labor that night, it really doesn't give you any good info about when labor is coming. So yeah it is normal.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• With my first I was 1/2 cm at 38 weeks and 4days and had baby the next day. With my second i was 1 cm at 35 weeks and a four days later went into labor. Some don't dilate till they are ready for labor. So yes it is normal.
    Anonymous

• I had zero dilation with my first four days before birth, zero two days before giving birth ten days past my due date and with this one, I have been at 1 to 1 1/12 for three weeks and am 11 days past due! You just never know....
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 7:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• yes its normal. im 37 weeks and still closed and 0 percent effaced
    Anonymous

• Yep. Totally normal. Some women start labor with a closed cervix. Others hang out at 5cm for weeks. Dilation and effacement mean nothing. :)
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 7:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• yeah, and it's normal at 41 weeks too. :-)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I was completely closed at 37 weeks, even after being induced for 16 hours! (I had preeclampsia pretty severely, which is the only reason I was being induced.) It didn't work because she had not dropped and my body wasn't ready, so I had an emergency csection, and we all were fine!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 8:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Yes its normal and it doesnt mean anything, you can go from 0 to 10 cm in a couple of hours but also walk around 5 cm dilated for many many weeks. Its not an indication of anything
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Yep, my ds was born at 41 1/2 weeks and only because my water broke. At 40 weeks, I was still closed. It took hours before I felt even 1 contraction too. He was difficult!
    Anonymous