Would you call CPS on a mom...

if you knew she used something other then her hand to spank her kid? And I don't mean she whips them across the face or anything. I mean, she uses it on their butt only and not all the time, just if they did something really bad. My son got spanked with a belt once and we've never had to do it again. He's a great kid, does good in school and we have a great relationship with him. Would you have called CPS on me if you knew of that one time when he got spanked with a belt because to you, it's abusive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes
    Anonymous

• It wouldn't do any good to call them, in every state it is till within reasonable punishment, I may not like it but there is nothing that can be done.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• No. I don't spank but there are some kids out there who probably would could have used a good spanking once in awhile.
    Anonymous

• Nope. Thats one way I used to be punished. I dont agree with it entirely but then again some crimes deserve a heavy time.
    Anonymous

• No, no cps. cps is for serious issues not the parent who has the right to discipline the way they see fit. Spanking isn't abusive, God knows how many kids are spanked or even paddled, hell they paddled you in school at one point.
    Anonymous

• IDK it would depend. How violently was the hitting, did it leave bruises or wounds? If yes, then I would feel a moral obligation to protect the child. so yes I would call.

If it didn't, It would also depend on whether or not I thought you were likely to do so again. If yes, then I would try to reason. And if I felt the physical punishment was cause emotional damage to the child then I would probably call. Hoping that you would recieve counseling and guidance from CPS.

For me personally consistent and caring parenting is much more effective than physical punishment.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 6:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I would not call CPS, hitting a child on the butt does not constitute abuse IMO, but if left marks I'd consider it.  Most of the calls to CPS are from people over reacting and wasting resources, this is how real problems slip through the cracks.

Anonymous

• No. If it was anywhere other than the bum or bruising/welts, or permanent marks were left yes. But what you described is not abuse.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• No.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 7:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• No. I son't agree with it - but in the situation stated about I don't hink it is CPS worthy. Most of my family diciplines their children this way.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2010