i took my son to the dentist today and they are referring him to an orthodontist for his overbite! Help...what will they do? He is only 5!

The said if he doesnt get the equiptment for his mouth to help it that by the time he is a teenager he will have to have a major surgery because it is so bad. I am very scared for him. Our insurence does not cover this and i am worried how much this is going to cost. Has anyone ever went through anything like this? What did they do for your child and what was the cost?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• There may be a dental clinic in your area that charges on a sliding fee. If there is a dental school they may take him as a patient.

Sometimes dentists say things that just don't turn out to happen. One of my sons had an abnormal roof of his mouth when he was born. Breastfeeding was difficult but I knew what I was doing and EBF. We were referred to a specialist and he was going to have a series of surgeries.

It turned out he didn't need any surgeries. Was it the 3 years of breastfeeding or just that he outgrew it? Dentists said both my other sons would need teeth pulled and braces and they didn't need it either.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My daughter also had a major over bite when she was younger. Although she didn't get braces untill she was 13. I was told that childrens bones start to harden in their teenage years and if I waited to long they would have to go in and break her palate if I waited to long. As far as the cost it was around $4000.00. My Insurance only paid $1000.00. Most dentist have payment plans and you can always see if your job can participate in the Flex Spending Account. Its a health savings account that is tax free. Hope this helps.
    CKasting

Answer by CKasting at 7:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• op here...im sorry i said overbite...its under bite.
    Anonymous

• I have to disagree with the 1st reply on a couple of things. I've been a dental hygienist for 22 years.
    Orhodontics is rarely covered by insurance. I work in public health and dental clinics do not employ orthodontists. Orthodontics is a specialty. The consultation with an orthodontist is usually free. In many offices if you mention you have insurance the office may give you a discount. Here the orthodontists offer a 25% discount to patients with insurance. Braces are paid for on a monthly payment plan so you don't have to pay it all up front.
    The reason your dentists feels it is important to correct now is because the treatment is quicker and less tramatic if done while the jaw is still growing.
    The most common reason for ortho is the bite being off. Most people think it's crooked teeth but it's not. Not having ortho treatment done when recommended can lead to more serious and expensive dental problems later in life.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 7:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I was told the same thing as a child. I did do braces for a few years in my teens. I never did get the surgery. Sounds like a lot of pain and possible side effects. Sometimes you have to weigh out the pros/cons with surgeries. My mouth seems fine. It does not bother me or anything, but obviously my jaw is not perfect. Just seemed extreme to crack my jaw when I was a child.

I am sure they are going to say the same thing for my son. I won't get it done either. I will probably do braces or other things and start younger and go from there.

The worst part is I wore my retainer most nights for 10 year after my braces and now my teeth are getting crooked again because it broke. It's like what was the point ? ? ?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I had some major mouth problems when I was young. I had a wire put in my mouth when I was in 2nd/3rd grade that corrected the most major problem, I guess. Then when I was 13 I had braces put on for over 3 years! My parents paid approx 3K for my braces, but not sure about the wire when I was younger - but I'm 36 so I'm quite sure prices have gone up.
    Consults with an ortho are free, generally, and most will be happy to set up a payment plan with you when you know what the final costs will be.

Answer by missanc at 12:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• As a former Dental Assistant I agree with PrttyMstng. Orthodontics is a specialty- and it applies to alot of different things-- not just 'crooked teeth'. Orthodontics (once it is started) is generally an on-going thing, and as such most places will tell you up front what your cost is and set up payment arrangements with you so you do not have to pay it all at once.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My 13 yr old has been going to an orthodontist since he was 7. He goes every 6 months to monitor the growth and development of his teeth and jaw. I have yet to pay for a visit, including xrays. I will not start paying anything until he has some kind of appliance on his teeth. The orthodontist offers in office payment plans with $500 down or Care Dental credit card and some other payment plans.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• they cant do much because hes 5 so i know they are not going to braces
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 5:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2010