What do I do with this kind of behavior?

I am in the process of potty training my 2 yr old(girl) & when she was on the potty my 5 yr old(boy) pulled down his pants & showed her is penis. He has been doing this a lot & I keep telling him that his privates are for him to see & only him. Unless he is sick of some sort & the doctor needs to see them. I just don't know what to do any more.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't know if this is funny or aweful.... I do think it's normal to some extent. It brought back a funny memory from my childhood (I grew up with 4 brothers) in which my brothers would pretend their penises were mushrooms when they took a bath. It was just a body part at that age, nothing sexual about it. I think the only time it would be unhealthy is if they were getting it from somewhere, like TV or an adult or older child being inappropriate. I think it is right for you to teach him it is private, and then if he disobeys, deal with the disobedience.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• He is likely confused and trying to show her what he potty's out of. Just keep telling him that it is not ok to show people his privates, he will get it eventually it is just the age that he is.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• LOL....sounds just like a man! Seriously, he'll stop eventually, but the more you make of it, the more he's going to do it just to get a response from you. As long as he's only doing it at home, then I wouldn't worry about it. This too shall pass.
    Anonymous

• me? id put him in time out each time he did it.
    Anonymous

• My sons are now into "potty humor" and showing their penises. I just keep reminding them that they are private parts for no one else to see. Like a pp said, as long as he's not whipping it out at the store, he's ok. Probably just sees your girl using the bathroom and want to show her where his pee comes out of!
    Anonymous

• Yeah sure put him in time out for showing a part of his body....that will only make him feel like his penis is something aweful and bad and create a bigger problem.

Honestly, it's a normal stage, just keep telling him that his penis is his and not meant to be shown to others like that
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• -I'd keep him out of the bathroom with dd. Tell son that toilet time for boys and girls is private time from each other but not from mommies.

If he persists and breaks her privacy just firmly put in in time out for three minutes even though usual is a minute for each age, don't talk to him except stay in time out til timer dings, mommy gets you .... and then explain why wrong and he must apologize and say won't do again.

If you talk while you putting him in time out he'll negotiate likely, your rules are nonnegotiable for this.

Learned hard way don't negotiate with kids!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 8:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2010