what are your kids learning at pre school?

Just curious... My daughter is 4 and in pre school and they have been teaching sight words. She knows in,is,at,my,you,are,have and at least 5-6 other words... is this common in most pre schools?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you want a academic background for your child the best school for this is the Montorsori program. very academic
    Anonymous

• i have my son in la petite i lov it they teach good and now they have the choice of teaching muzzy for 20 min tues and thurs
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 7:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• well she now now knows all her letters and can count to 30. Things we worked on at home but never really mastered. Ahh she knew her colors and shapes before she went in.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• No, that is not typical for preschool. It's not even typical for many kindergartens. If she's comfortable with the advanced pace and can handle it - great. If not, though, there's no need to push the academics at this age.

preschool should be a foundation builder for school - age appropriate activities and skill building.
    Anonymous

• thanks anon... 1:48pm :) she is doing very well with it! she can read short books and enjoys it I was just wondering if that was the norm or if she might be a little advanced. I don't want to seem to be "bragging" tho. :)
    Anonymous

• Yes, that is common. Those are the beginnings of the preschool sight words. Google preschool sight words and you will get the list of the 40 words that preschoolers should be learning.

I teach preschool and that is what my 4-5 year olds are learning along with letter recognition, upper and lowercase recognition, color and number words, recognizing numbers to 30, rhyming words, word families (-ox, -at, -ut, -ow). They learn one to one correspondence. They are all learning to add and subtract numbers. They also learn reading comprehension, telling stories, what constitutes a book (cover, author, illustrator, words, illustrations). They learn to read left to right, to turn pages and follow along with words.

If you want, message me and I will send you the list of preschool sightwords and what we do with the kids to learn them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2010