How do I get my 19 month old to eat without a fight?!

The problem isn't so much that she's a picky eater. She loves to eat lots of different things. The problem is when we sit down at the table for dinner, she wants nothing to do with it. She very persistently pushes it away (tonight it ended up on the chair and floor) and tells us "no". If you do somehow manage to get a bite in her mouth she will spit it all over herself and the table. Apparently she eats like a little angel at daycare. And if she's sitting on the couch eating a snack she doesn't complain. We put her in time out tonight and I explained to her that it's not ok to throw her food. I'm not sure it sunk in. While my dog enjoyed the food that ended up on the floor, this mommy is going gray just thinking about the messes we've had to clean up and what it's going to be like if it continues. If you have ANY advice I'm more than willing to give it a shot! Thank you all in advance!!

BrennaAndChloe

Asked by BrennaAndChloe at 7:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you make her sit there until she eats.
    Anonymous

• I agree, make sure she's not already full on snacks, though.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 7:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I think you shouldnt pay too much attention to it, they will not starve themselves. Personally i wouldnt use time outs or forcing a child to sit there and eat, forced eating is not a good idea. I would cut back on snacks to see if maybe she just isnt hungry.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I'd cut out snacks all together, but that's just me. Even from young age, the body is healthy if it has at least 4 hours to digest between meals. Otherwise, maybe make her eat her snacks at the table, too? I agree with a PP, she won't starve herself. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• i agree with Adelicious on the parts 4 hour to digest between meals and tty having her snacks at the table too, see if that makes any difference. As long as she eats a little bit of everything that you give her for her meals sh'll be fine, gl
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:01 AM on Feb. 18, 2010