Ever been to an endocrinologist?

I asked this under "health" but figured I might get more responses here.
I have an appointment tomorrow with an endocrinologist and have never been.. they said its going to be a 90 min appointment and Im wondering what in the world will they do for 90 minutes?!?! Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

ashleyuc07

Asked by ashleyuc07 at 7:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Hey! Sorry that you have to see a specialist. In my specific situation I had to go to one because at my 6 week checkup after having my second child my doctor found a lump under my throat. She said that it didn't seem right so she recommended I see a Endocrinologist too see what was going on. So I scheduled a appointment. We I first went in I had to do all the new patient info. and the insurance same ole' same ole'. Finally I saw the doctor and he asked me all kinds of questions about my health and my health background (mother illnesses, father illnesses, ect.) Then he felt my neck and noticed that instead of just one lump, I had one lump on EACH side. He told me his "estimated" size of them. Afterwards he decided to do a in office biopsy. So he took a needle, numbed the spots, and collected fluid from each side to send to a lab. Afterwards he said he would call with results and he sent me home. *Continue Below*
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 8:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• *Continue*
    I don't know what the reasons are why you need to go, but I don't want to scare you with my story. It didn't hurt getting the biopsy, and the only problem I had was worrying myself sick over what it was. I had two little ones under the age of 2, and I didn't want to find out I had Cancer or anything like that. I was scared. So like 2 weeks later the office calls and says that I had two Cold nodules. He had me come back and he put me on medicine to try to shrink them. The medicine didn't work and he did another bio. It came back the same and non cancerous. SO he told me that for now we would just leave them alone, but I needed to come back every year to have them checked and to be sure they didn't increase in size. I never went back though because my family lost our insurance and he was a very expensive specialist. That was about 3 years ago. Good luck on your appointment! :)
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I've been to one. I had Grave's disease (over-active thyroid). I took one round of radioactive iodine, and my levels went down for a while, but then they went back up again. So, my dr sent me to a specialist to find out what was going on. I don't recall that the 1st visit took that long, though. They will ask you a lot of questions, and be more in depth than a regular family doctor. Good luck!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:46 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• We go to one ever three months. My daughter's diabetic and the appointments can be long.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 8:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2010