• In the Spotlight:

Being induced

When you are induced with pitocin are you allowed to get up and move around?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i think most hospitals would not "allow" you to move much. you will be hooked up to an IV and you will probably be "required" to have continuous Electronic fetal monitoring, which pretty much restricts you to bed. that's because the pitocin puts baby at greater risk of going into distress.
    Anonymous

• Well you have to take the IV drip with you if you do. Kind of a pain in the rear. Once the contractions really got going I didn't WANT to up moving. I think it will be up to you.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Depends on your doctor. I was able to get up and move around, just stopping back for monitoring when they wanted. The pump has a battery.
    Anonymous

• but definitely ask your OB because i'm sure different hospitals have very diff policies on this
    Anonymous

• I think so, I'm not positive though. You'e not allowed to move once you get an epidural.
    Hope this helps a bit. Best Wishes!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 8:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I agree with annon 7:08 I was induced wih both of mine and thank God I was laying there being monitered because when contractions came my DD's heart rate dropped. (her cord was wraped around her neck and they were able to remove it before it cause real problems)
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 8:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• As a pp mentioned earlier, once you have pit, you'll be required to have continuous fetal monitoring because pitocin contractions can be harder on the baby (one reason to only do it if absolutely necessary). When I had pit, I pretty much ignored the monitor and moved all over the place. It was hard for my nurse, who was CONSTANTLY trying to readjust the monitors, but it was more important to me to be able to move around. We were able to monitor enough to know the DS wasn't having any distress.

Most women who have pit get an epidural, in which case you will be confined to the bed in a reclined position. You don't have to have an epidural, but most women say the contractions are more painful with pit. I had pit without an epidural, and I wouldn't have done it differently. Good luck! Moving around is really great when you're in labor!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 8:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I was not able to get up once the pit was started. Check with your hospital.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 8:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Usually no, or not for a very long time. In my case I was allowed but only for very short amounts of time, to change position or something like that. They said that the reason you cannot get up and move around is because with the pitocin they want to be able to monitor you, your baby and contractions as much as possible.
    nessani28

Answer by nessani28 at 9:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I was ALLOWED to, but the Pitocin made the contractions so unbearable I found it nearly impossible.
    I won't ever let anyone touch me with Pitocin again. It's horrible and not good for you or the baby.
    Anonymous