At what age is it alright to listen to music with profanity?

My daughters are age 11 and 8. Some of my 11 year olds friends have songs on their Ipod's that use profanity and have sexually suggestive lyrics. I screen what my daughter listens to and so far have restricted her from listening to songs with bad language. Of course, she probably hears much of the same language at middle school, however, my husband and I do not speak using this language at home. How does a parent decide when it is "ok" to allow this music?

lovetoteach1988

Asked by lovetoteach1988 at 8:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Entertainment

• We talk talk talk to ds about why we don't listen to such music or allow M games. You can control what they hear at home but if they know your values they will think about that when they hear it elsewhere. There is so much garbage out there, we can only try and direct our children in the right direction and keep communication open.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 8:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• i was never censored as a child, i never got into trouble with police or snuck out or anything. i would say if you trust your 11 yo then she can if you think it's ok. i was 10-11 when i started listening to rap stuff and things that were unedited, but thsi was 10+ years ago. some of the stuff they play now makes me turn the channel bc it's just gross.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I'll say, when they are grown and moved out on their own!
    yes, you can't controle what they hear outside your home, and they will get to hear it there, but you set the standard in the house. And it's not going to kill them to listne to some good music for a change, and don't lower your standard because the world around you does.

That's just my 5 cents ;-D
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 8:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Whats that song from lil John that goes " til the sweat runs down my balls"....some songs are just not meant for kids. I'd try to keep an eye out til about 15 and then discuss some lyrics that you find questionable. Show them that some lyrics are for shock value alone.
    Anonymous

• My parents never censored my music. To them, it was a trust thing. They trusted me to behave and not to take the lyrics seriously. I will not censor my son's music. I see no reason to, considering there are going to be far worse things that he hears in school
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 11:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• never!!!! I will not listen too it and do not allow my girls too either. my 12 year old show me and let me listen to everything she does and ask if it is okay for her.
    theladybugscafe

Answer by theladybugscafe at 11:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• just know she understands to never speak like that, ever. If she knows that it is wrong and she shouldn't do it then i think it should be ok to let her listen to SOME things. not totally horrible songs with profanity every other word but like with maybe one or two words or so. Just what you think is okay, really. It's your daughter. And this is my opinion. Go with your gut, what you think is right.
    Frostigrl

Answer by Frostigrl at 6:34 PM on Feb. 18, 2010