Spacing Children Apart

My daughter will be turning 1 already next month and already I'm thinking of getting pregnant with our 2nd, as we don't want them to be too far apart in age.
My question is, how hard is it with 2 children when one is toddler age and the other an infant? What are your experiences?

jmpeskie

Asked by jmpeskie at 9:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have two girls, my youngest is 6.5 months and my oldest is 28 months. I got pregnant when our first was 13 months. I won't lie, it's hard. I wanted them close but not this close, we got pregnant with our 2nd immediately where it took us 18 months with our first. It's probably harder for me because my dh works out of town and is only home on weekends, which also wasn't planned but that's the only way he can keep a job right now. We have a lot of really good days and we have a lot of really stressful days. Today has been very stressful. My oldest was on a scheduled routine and that worked great for me, I can't get my youngest on a routine. As soon as I realized I couldn't keep an exact schedule for me things got better.
    vowens82

Answer by vowens82 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• my first son was 2 1/2 when i had the second, and the second son was 1 1/2 when i had the third (a girl this time lol). it was ok for both as far as the age gap.... they both had their pros and cons. i liked the two closer together bc they are both still in diapers and with the ones further apart i had to work on potty training and a newborn (not fun). also with the two closer together it was easier to lift the older kid and take care of them when i was pp. on the negative side, i didn't have to watch the older one as much as i have to watch the younger one around the baby, he's drawn to her like a magnet lol. i would suggest to start trying now. i would definately never ever have them more than 3 years apart..... that's like starting all over again! no thanks lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I don't have the experience, but I know I thought about it too. We are in no place financially for another child. My daughter is 19 months. And I am wishing we were because I feel like 2-3 years is about perfect. I have two sks and I think that is what helped me hold off on my desire to get pregnant again. They use to be with us most of the time and now they aren't as much so I think I am feeling a bit like my home is empty.....who know.

I know I would maybe want to wait because I am really enjoying my daughter right now. We are starting to potty train. I think I would maybe want her fully potty trained or just about by the time I had my second.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My first 2 are 15 months apart and then #2 and #3 are 13 months apart. I had 3 kids under 3 years old. It wasn't too bad since I encouraged independence from the get-go with all my kids. They were never needing me for every little thing/every moment of the day and weren't clingy. My oldest had no problem playing in her room for an hour when she was 1 and 2 years old while I dealt with the baby/babies. Then once the 3rd one was born the older 2 entertained each other.
    I had a much harder time adjusting to #4 who is 3 1/2 years younger then #3. I was used to having "big" kids...no strollers, diaper bags (the 3yo was still in diapers, though) and they could all dress themselves, etc. Then it was back to sleepless nights and a needy infant. It was rough. I much preferred having them one right after the other, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Given the choice, I would not choose to have two in diapers at the same time...but my LO's are only 13 months apart, so they were in diapers at the same time. Life goes on. I also have older children that are spaced farther apart...they were a bit easier. I really have to hand it to moms of multiples.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:06 AM on Feb. 18, 2010