When its a special occasion and you go out to buy your man a gift, do you base what you buy on how much you think he'll spend on you?

Its that special day where you have to buy your guy a gift and likewise you will be receiving a present to celebrate that day. Now when your shopping and checking the stores out, do you buy him something that is around the same neutral price that you believe he will be spending on you? Or do you just buy whatever you like? And once that day comes and you see what you get, are you disappointed in him because the $25 gift card to your favorite store isn't very personal and you spent more on his gift? You took the time to pick out something he would like while he simply goes up to a register and purchases a little plastic card without any real thought into it. Even when you specifically tell him items you would like as gifts. Does this make you vain or greedy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• No. I spend based on what I know he'll appreciate and use.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 9:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I'd just buy him whatever I think he'd like most. Sounds like you two have some gift buying issues to work out!
    Anonymous

• I buy stuff he needs and doesn't buy for himself. Or I get him stuff that's for the family. He does the same for me. Price tag is a non-issue.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I listen to him when he's out working in the shop, he will say, I could use this or that. I then make a mental note of it and get it for him and surprise him when he comes home off the road. It doesn't have to be a birthday, holiday etc... I don't care what he spends on me, and he doesn't care about what I spend on him...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• No. I base it on whether I think he will like the gift. It's not about getting back something of the same value.
    Anonymous

• I love buying gifts for my husband. I always try to get something he wants/needs. Like this Valentines day I got him a new pair of Maui Jim sunglasses($300) that he wanted and needed and then one year he wanted a new ipod so I bought him that. I do tend to spend a little more however he is worth it! My husband would never get a giftcard for me because whatever store I like he would know what clothes I want and just buy them. Plus, he has really good taste on clothes.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Yes, it makes you vain and greedy, but the actions described above make him a total friggen idiot, so I guess y'all are even.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 AM on Feb. 18, 2010