Medical insurance question

I am 35 weeks pregnant and have been seeing my ob at her practice. Her office is very nice and I like her but no guaranty she will be the one delivering my baby it depends if she is on call. So today we went on a hospital tour to check out where we will deliver......we absolutely do NOT like it. We did not feel comfortable. There is a hospital that is closer to us that we want to switch too but when I called Blue Shield they told me that because the hospital is not a part of my assigned medical group that I can not deliver there. I asked if I could change the medical group and was told no because Im in my 3rd trimester. Help ladies anyway to work around this??? I want my delivery to be as comfortable for me as possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• sorry your out of luck probably should of done the tour earlier so you could of made a better choice
    Anonymous

• You could call the other hospital and find out how much it would cost you to deliver without insurance but it could get really pricey.

The best bet would be to call a local birthing center and get their price. It's usually less than a thousand for the actually delivery and then your insurance should still cover the cost of the rest of your prenatal visits.

If all else fails and you have to deliver at this hospital remember that YOU are in charge. You do NOT check ownership to your body at the door!
    Anonymous

• The Dr you love may not have permission to use the hospital you "want" to deliver at also. So chances are she will not be able to deliver your baby at that facility. If you do go there, you might have to pay for the delivery out of pocket and deal with what ever midwife or OB is there to catch the baby.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:33 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• what about switching doctors' practices to a practice who might do what you're hoping for? What is it about the hospital that you don't like?
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Maybe an ob practice with a midwife group in it works out of your original hospital that you could switch too?

A lot of hospitals have preferences of birth that they'd like followed but doctors and/or patients have final say in patient's real time care.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Why not try a home birth? Would that not work seems like you would be comfy? i'm not really expierenced yet just a suggestion :)
    SuperSavy

Answer by SuperSavy at 4:01 AM on Feb. 21, 2010