Researching stripping membranes.

My midwife and I have been discussing my 'last resort' induction options, as I'm very close to being officially overdue (NOTE: I said LAST RESORT, so no ' let your baby come on her own'. Our plan IS to let her come on her own. Would just like a 'just in case' plan in place.) Since stripping the membranes seems to be the most natural out of that, breaking my water, pitocin, or c-section, that's what I believe I would go with as my first option. I'm asking for experiences. Did it actually help you go into labor? If so, how quickly? Just wondering what to expect if I do decide to do it, and yes I know there is a very large spectrum as to what I can expect. Like I said, I'm essentially just asking for experiences. Thanks mamas!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yes stripping does work. i went inot labor 6 hours after mine was done. it also depends on the person, oh and on how well the doctor does it.
    Anonymous

• What is "overdue" to your midwife? Evidence doesn't support induction for postdates until at least 42 weeks, usually 43. If it's 42 weeks, then you might talk about doing a biophysical profile, a NST and going from there, and not worrying about inducing so much.

Stripping membranes works by causing the body to release prostaglandins, which soften and thin the cervix. In order to make it most effective, it would probably have to be done more than once, and if you have sex right after (which probably won't be the first thing on your mind... this procedure often hurts), it will help your chances.

Good luck, mamma!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• my dr stripped my membranes @ 39 wks w/my first pregnancy and the baby still took over a week to come. he was born 3 days after his due date. =)
    Anonymous

• I have a friend who was 41 weeks got them stripped and was in labor that evening. I would try evening primrose oil tablets in your vagina first it has little to no side effects where stripping can cause infection or water rupture.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• worked for me... i got it done on a tuesday, and my water broke thursday night... and had him friday night.... i was 37 weeks.
    K-RydesMommy

Answer by K-RydesMommy at 12:23 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab000451.html
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:31 AM on Feb. 18, 2010