Should I get rid of my Pit Bull puppy or keep it???

I've just got a 5 week old APBT puppy from Wood and Carver bloodline. I have a 22 month old daughter and a husband who has previously owned Pit Bulls and has experience with them. Due to the big controversy that surrounds this breed nowadays, no experience on my side and my angry mother who thinks that I've brought a killer into my house, I am starting to wonder whether I should keep this puppy or maybe rehome it while it's still young. My main concern is my daughter. I plan on giving this dog all my love and attention, socialization, plenty of exercise and quality time, yet I am seriously afraid that it will betray me one day in a horrible way. I've been frightened by the stories about loving and thrustworthy Pit Bulls (family dogs) suddenly turning on their owners and their kids. Am I just being biased or should I follow my insticts and get rid of the dog? My dog should be my life companion, not a potential lethal enemy.

anna07674

Asked by anna07674 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Pets

• oh blah blah blah blah. You can raise that puppy to be just as good as any other dog with your child. I had my pit bull a year before I had my son and guess what? Both are still alive, in 1 piece, happy and interact like brother and sister. They LOVE each other. The key is consistent training and lots and lots of exercise. A tired dog is a well behaved, happy dog. It's 100% possible to raise a pit bull and a child. Trust me. Take the pup to classes/doggie daycare/dog parks, anything for socialization and interaction. There is not a deeply ingrained inbred gene in that dog to be a killer. Pit bulls are known to be one of the most loyal breeds which is one reason they make great fighting dogs. They are eager to do as their owner says and please them. Good luck. Trust me, its possible! I have a friend with 2 kids who does pit bull rescue and her kids have never been bitten either.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 4:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• well this is gonna start drama I am sure. and I know you dont intend it. but pit bulls are a breed that people really have NO business having in a home with a small child in my opinion. in fact MOST breeds I would never have in a home with a young child. dogs can turn no matter HOW you raise them. and pits are kinda known for it.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Keep it! The label put on these dogs is completely wrong!
    JessicaB86

Answer by JessicaB86 at 10:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• There is absolutely no way I would take a chance. So maybe the chance that he will hurt your child is 1 in 100. Is it worth it?
    Anonymous

• Why get a dog you have no intention of keeping? If you plan to put the time in for training and socialization then you will have a good dog. I have a pit who is almost 8 years old we got her at the age of 7 months (which was how old my daughter was at the time) Reagan is wonderful with my daughter and everyone else. You can't look at the breed but the dog. I have worked with dogs a long time and have had come across more aggressive labs and golden retrievers then i have pit bulls.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Do not keep it. My SIL keep hers and it bite the neighbor's kid. They might go to court I do not know.
    Anonymous

• I'm completely ignoring the breed here. But who the heck gives 5 week old puppies?! They need their mother til they're at least 6 weeks old, if not older! That right there is a problem! You'd chance more problems from that poor thing being taken early from it's mother, than anything else. And btw, it's all in how you raise it, it's not the breed, ANY breed can brutally attack, ANY breed can be the calmest sweetest thing. It's all in how you raise it. But GL since it was taken away so early.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• The fact it is pit is not nearly as big of a deal as the fact that it was taken from its mother before 8 weeks. In my state it is illegal to take a dog from its mother before 8 weeks and is recommended they stay with the mother for 12 weeks. This is so they will be able to learn social skills from the mother and having other littermates to teach them dog skills and social skills. The fact it was taken so early is going to make socialization and training even more important and if not done properly no matter what the breed is, it will have social and behavior problems. As far as the breed-it is not a problem at all to have one with children. They are wonderful dogs and great with kids-as long as they are raised properly.
    Anonymous

• I agree 5 weeks is too young to be away from mom. Sounds like you got the dog from either a backyard breeder or an accidental pregnancy and that could be your problem. Socialize and train that dog now. It's not the pit blood it's the fact the dog isn't ready to be away.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• We just got a 2.5 month old pitbull. Actually this is our 2nd of the same litter. The first was alittle aggressive toward our oldest son, but the second is nothing more than a lap puppy. He plays chase and everything.

You can reaise a pitbull to be a loving, caring dog. I was completely against pits because we got our puppy.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 12:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2010