Evening Primrose Oil and Red Raspberry Leaf Tea.. do anything for you?

If yes, how often did you use them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• as in, to start labor? nope. none of these old wives tales are true. but consuming an oils -castor oil is also a popular myth- can give you diarrhea. not labor.
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 10:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• The red raspberry leaf tea makes your uterus stronger and more effective during labor, and I have not heard of one person that used primrose oil that didn't have a positive result. I drink the tea daily and I am 19 weeks, I will start the primrose around my due date.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• PS the primrose has to be inserted in your vagina as close to the cervix for it to work, and it does work it is not a wives tale.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• haha... maybe that's why it didn't work for them... they put it in the wrong end! =) for the record, i've never tried either myself. just talked to drs and heard stories on sites like this. the drs said they were old wives tales, the moms who tried the teas/oils told me their results. i know that the castor oil gave my friend horrible stomach pains and diarrhea... no labor. poor girl.
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 10:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• red raspberry leaf will make you have contractions, it was in my prenatal vitamins. my midwife recommended that I stop taking them until 37 weeks and then I resumed. they gave me a lot of contractions and could have set me into premature labor. so be careful if you use raspberry leaf. any natural/ herbal medicine or supplement should only be used with professional guidance.

hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 10:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• i am 40 weeks and 3 days and are scheduled to be induced next week. I dont want to be induced so i am looking at other options.
    Anonymous

• The evening primrose oil helps ripen and open your cervix and always works on people past their due dates.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 11:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Actually NEITHER of these are old wives tales.

The EPO needs to be placed on the cervix. Place 2 capsules on your cervix or have your DH do it for you. Then 6 hours later place 2 more on your cervix. You can do it every 6 hours. Lay in bed for 1 hour after each insertion. Have sex and walk between insertions.

RLT does not actually start labor but it does ripen the uterus through minor contractions which can also help ripen the cervix bringing you closer to labor.

NOTE: Both of these things will work ONLY if your body is ready.

If you don't want to be induced simply decline the induction. As long as fluid levels are good, blood pressure is good and the placenta is not calcifying there is no reason to induce. You are not technically over due until you pass 42 weeks. Due dates are a guess.
    Anonymous

• My doctor has me start placing EPO capsules on my cervix at 36 week 6 days pregnant to start ripening my cervix. He says 37 weeks is term so that 's the earliest I can start it but I always have blood pressure issues at the end of my pregnancy. The EPO ripens my cervix and has brought me into labor by 38 weeks at the latest with every pregnancy.

Also if you do end up needing an induction your cervix may be ripen enough for them to just break your water so you can be induced without drugs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• i drank nothing but red raspberry tea for 3 days and it started my labor...and the contractions were much stronger than they were with my first pregnancy in which i did nothing to jump start labor
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 12:30 AM on Feb. 18, 2010