Ignoring for a moment that shellfish is outlawed by the rules anyway,

why is it fish is allowed during lent? If the rule is "no meat" why is cow, chicken, pig and deer considered meat, but not fish? Ever since I was little, I never could understand why Lent = 2 for 1 Filet O Fish specials.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Oh my gosh I've wondered this too. The only answer I can come up with (other than my mom saying "because it just is lol) is that there was fish at the last supper thing..you know turning one fish into a basket full..
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I don't know. I never eat fish. We always eat vegetarian during Lent. My question is, why does it really matter. To each their own ideas and beliefs.

Anonymous

• In Acts 10:9-16 Peter had a vision in which God reveals that Christians can eat any food. So abstaining from meat is not done because the food is impure, but it's the idea of voluntarily giving up something good as a sacrifice for our spiritual benefit.
    Meat is/was considered a luxury (and fish not so much) so that's why meat is given up for Lent . The purpose of abstaining from meat is to give up a luxury food (so those who skip meat and go out and eat a huge lobster dinner are sort of missing the point).
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• My question is, why does it really matter.

How rude of you, if you don't like the question, don't answer it. How sad that some people are so insecure they see every question as an attack.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Avoid meat on Fridays or Wednesdays. Meat was a luxury and only the rich who could afford it or who raised their own cattle could eat it. For most Christian religions or sects, fish is not a meat, which is why it's the popular choice on Fridays during lent. Of course, this means that you shouldn't eat your favorite vegetarian or fish meal either-not eating meat is supposed to be a sacrifice and not an opportunity to enjoy yourself.

Anonymous

• The Cather's were a Christian sect in Southern France who were vegetarian but did not consider fish to be meat. I don't know why, but many religious groups only consider red meat, pork and chicken to be true meat.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 11:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Maybe because fish are cold-blooded and the other meats you mentioned come from warm-blooded animals?
    Anonymous

• I remember reading somewhere (sorry can't remember where) but the custom of eating "fish but not flesh" on Friday stemed from this word usage in Western languages, in which there was a division between fish and what we today call "meat." I know in Latin the word for "meat" doesn't include fish and many Euopean languages have some basis in Latin. So it may have more to do with linguistics than where an animal lived.

It's interseting that the fish symbol was an early symbol for Christianity. So by eating fish on Friday we are symbolically nourished by Christ while denying ourselves other forms of animal sustenance. (To be clear - Catholics are not required to eat fish on Fridays, we're just suppose to abstain from meat.) And again - the main purpose is about sacrifice, penance and preparation - not about the food itself.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• How rude of you, if you don't like the question, don't answer it. How sad that some people are so insecure they see every question as an attack.

Wow. Ok. I wasn't trying to be rude. I really want to know why it matters to other people. It looks like you are the one looking for attacks here. I honestly wanted to know why it mattered to the OP. Do they have a genuine desire to learn why, are they seeking to learn about another's beliefs, or to learn more about their own? Maybe I didn't word it correctly, but you don't always come across as little miss sunshine either, do you? Besides, it seems as though certain practices are attacked on here quite often. Maybe I just wanted clarification. Oh, and I could say the same for you regarding a lot of questions you answer. If you don't like some of the questions on here, then why do you answer them in a rude manner? And don't say you do not, because you do.

Anonymous

• OP, I didn't mean to come off as being harsh in my previous answer. You may report it,if you wish.

Anonymous