• In the Spotlight:

How to get a baby to sleep through the night?

I never had a day where my baby slept through the entire night... he is 8 months old and still hasn't done it... are there any tips on getting it to happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not what you want to hear....but they will sleep through the night when they are ready. I had one that slept through the night at 6 weeks, the next by 6 months...the last didn't until he was 1.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 10:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• You just have to be consistent with your bed time routine and nap routine and eventually he will get the point but not until he is ready.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• i agree with slinkee. my first did around 6 months. my ds now is 11 months and doesnt look like she'll be sleeping through the night for awhile.
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Babies sleep through the night when THEY are ready NOT when YOU are ready. It's just how it is. My son is 7 months and has gone through periods where he sleeps through the night but then a growth spurt comes along and he's nursing all night long. It's just the way it is.
    Anonymous

• a warm bath every night with johnsons & johnsons bedtime bath help baby sleep better soap, and then use the same lotion after the bath and a warm bottle. the later you put him to bed the later he will sleep. i feed my son his fruit & cereal dinner around 7 thirty or 8, then give him his bath and things between 9-10. hes also 8 months old. ive been doing this since he was born and hes been sleeping through the night since he was 4 months old.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Consider 5 hours sleep through. Also consider that a wake up, needs met, and back to sleep and A-ok night routine.

I don't know why people expect babies to sleep long stretches when they themselves wake to turn over, to get a drink, or to pee. Remember that adults can choose to get up and take care of a need and go back to bed and that's considered normal. It's also normal for babies.

It's not usual for babies to sleep very long stretches. Some babies do reach sleep maturity sooner, but that doesn't mean all babies do or that there is something wrong with them if they don't. You can do all the routines that you want, but if your baby is the type that needs to wake then that's how it is going to be. Just like some adults have bladders of steel (like my husband) and can sleep a long time, the rest of us normal people need to get up to pee.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:26 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• well said amileegirl :)
    Anonymous