No idea where to ask this..Mirena question..Pleaseeee help me

I've had mirena for almost 3 months, never had a problem except my hair is falling out MASSIVELY, until recently. I bled on and off for the first 6 weeks then nothing for weeks.
Two weeks ago I started getting pregnancy symptoms, I breastfeed and my supply dropped drastically, I started cramping and a few days later I started spotting very very lightly for about 6-7 days. The spotting has stopped, the pregnancy symptoms are still there and I'm still cramping. I took a test a week ago and it was negative but I have no idea when to test because I haven't had a period since having my DD 4 months ago. I don't necessarily think I'm pregnant.
Questions:
1.) Has anyone had problems like this? Is it normal?
2.) My body doesn't take kindly to BC pills or depo and I'm scared to get paraguard because I already have heavy periods, is there any suggestions on BC?
I don't want to give up sex but I officially hate BC.

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 11:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well I have had Mirena for almost 2 yr and it is different for everyone as I have noticed when talking to others who have such different symptoms of what it does.

When I first had it put in I bled for 6 weeks and cramped. I just felt BLAH...Pretty much after that my body adjusted and I rarely spot and really have no period and this is not uncommon on Mirena. I do cramp here and there which is anoying. I have no haor loss issues but my skin breaks out! I hate BC too and since we are done my SO did have a vasectomy but waiting for him to do all the follow up care so I can consider removing it. I have had no major issues and like no period.ALSO I was BF'ing and had no supply issues at all.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• the mirena is hormonal just like the pills and stuff that you had problems with so it was not the best choice in that respect.
    there are other nonhormonal BC methods.
    Anonymous

• My doctor did a good job conviencing me to give it a try even with my bad history with BC.
    I will look into more options, thank you.
    Just wondering if anyone else has had any problems I have and if they found something else that worked better with them.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 11:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• If you just had your baby four months ago, the hair loss is because of your pregnancy/postpartum hormones. I have had both mirena and I now have paragaurd. This is all normal, annoying, but normal and if you have any real concerns I would talk to your doctor otherwise I went through the same thing after I had mine placed. The spotting is normal, for awhile and then my period was just gone. If you are nursing, the supply drop would be because A) baby is going through a growth spurt or B) again with the postpartum hormones, everything is in a process of regulation. Just be patient, if you still think that you *might* be pregnant then take another test in a few days, but give yourself a break either way, you just had a baby! Congrats!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I had hair loss before I got mirena, which I knew was normal but now I have hair coming out in handfulls. The amount of hair I have lost is actually scary.
    What you said does make sense, thank you for your help=]
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 11:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• There is a lot of new info coming out about Mirena decreasing milk supply. It is not "supposed to" but a lot of women are reporting that it does. It seems like for most it does not effect supply, but for a certain percentage it does. Check out Mirena and Breastfeeding

I agree that if you don't handle hormonal BC well then Mirena was not the best choice (sorry your Dr. talked you into it, it sounds like you questioned it but Dr convinced you it'd be okay)

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• All of your symptoms happened to me. ALL OF THEM. The hair loss, pregnancy symptoms and add acne..when I had the Mirena. I actually had mine taken out last Friday. I just couldn't handle it anymore, so DH had a vasectomy and as soon as it came back that he was clear of sperm...I had the Mirena removed. Hated it.

Anonymous

• Mine actually ended up being embedded and was surgically removed March 11th. Thank goodness it's out!!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 6:19 PM on May. 13, 2010