I feel like im a bad mom

I see other kids my sons age (22 months) already saying senteces w/ like 4 to 5 words! My son only says one word at a time.. and jibber jabbers.. when do they start talking talking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Believe me, you are NOT a bad mom! My oldest was a late talker and now I can't believe the words he comprehends! He can have a conversation with adults and keep up with them. He did receive Speech therapy. I took him to a child find and the lady who evaluated him referred him for speech therapy. Maybe you can get him evaluated too?
    Anonymous

• They talk when they want to! maybe he just doesnt have anything to say right now....but when he does he will talk your ear off!
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 11:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Your sons speaking abilities do not have to do with you as a parent. Children start speaking more fluently at different ages, some not even until 3 years old. Your son probably has a load of words bottled up inside his head, but just isn't ready to release them verbally. It may take him a day, it could take him a month. It all depends on when he's ready to let them out. Just keep working with him, encouraging him to say words. Talk to him like he can respond cohearently. Don't use words that you wouldn't use in your everyday language (Baba for example). Use full setences and ask him for a specific answer. You can help him, by talking to him. Reading to him also will help him learn to speak more cohearently.

Don't worry about his speech right now. It is common.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• thanks you all, you all are so supportive! It makes me feel alot better...
    Anonymous

• my son is 21 months, hes just starting to say a few words, He certainly jibber jabbers alot though, sometimes you can understand his words and sometimes you can't, I think he said deer today, but not sure, but i just kept saying it and he kept saying the same d- sounding word, so maybe....
    calvinsmommy18

Answer by calvinsmommy18 at 12:24 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Don't feel bad!!! My dd didn't start actually talking until 19 mos... She was doing exactly what your son is doing now at 2 years! However,the day I talked to the dr about it she suddenly started saying 3-4 word sentences. Now at 27 mos she won't quit talking!!! Trust me, you are doing all you can: talking to him, loving him and trying to help him! He'll get it sooner than you think. :)
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:28 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• my son is 3 and he is finally doing some sentences, even now though some of his stuff is alot of jibber jabber..your fine, just keep workin with him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about speaking in four to five words yet,I would wait to be concerned at age 3, by age three if he's still not talking then get him evaluated, just keep working with him. sit him down in front of sesame street. gl.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 7:53 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• It doesn't have anything to do with your parenting skills. Children talk at different ages, and boys are usually a good bit later than are their female counterparts.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:56 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• If you have any concerns, and it sounds like you do, then please call early intervention in your area!! I had the same concerns with my son and heard the same thing you do - that he will talk when he's ready, that boys talk later than girls, etc. so I didn't have him evaluated until he was 2 1/2 and WELL behind. I firmly believe if I had caught his speech delay earlier it would have helped immensely! The earlier you catch any delay, the less room they have to catch up. So you get an evaluation and they tell you he's fine - great, at least your fears are put to rest. But if there is a delay they can get you enrolled in free or very low cost speech therapy (which is more like play at this age - he will enjoy it!), and get him caught up in no time. Google early intervention and your area.

Answer by missanc at 11:48 AM on Feb. 18, 2010