Health insurance for expectant mothers?

When I discovered I was pregnant literally right before my fiance deployed to Iraq, I (unfortunately) had to apply for Medicaid. I did not renew my coverage after my post-natal check-up, and we promptly switched our daughter to TriCare (military insurance) when my fiance returned home. We are not able to get married yet (don't ask), and I often worry over the possibility that I will become pregnant again before we are. So, I am trying to research now on insurance options other than Medicaid. Any suggestions? (please do not hit me up with Ameriplan messages)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• it really sucks, but every health insurance company I know does not cover you if you are already pregnant, they consider it in the "preexisting condition" category.

Stick with the medicaid for now, sure it's not the best but at least there are no premiums to pay for a company that won't even cover what you need right now.
    Anonymous

• Wow anon:33, did you even read the whole question?! Obviously not!

OP - all I can say is really look around - it's hard to find a good pregnancy plan. I know when I got my insurance, I had to have a rider to cover pre-natal & baby care, and I had to be on it for 2+ years before even attempting to get pregnant - and if I got pregnant before that 2 years, I'd never get prenatal coverage through them. It really really sucked - so I chose to forego the rider, and went on medicaide with each of my pregnancies, and take my chances with what would actually be covered by my insurance (they DID cover SOME stuff). But yeah, I had my regular (primary) insurance and got medicaid as secondary just for the 9 months, for the baby stuff, then put the baby on my insurance after it was born. GL, hope you find something that works for you, it's hard and frustrating!
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure, I do know that if you do get pregnant again you can reapply for Medicaid. Most other insurances either don't have maternity coverage or require you to be on the plan for a certain amount of time before you can use pregnancy benefits. Sorry I can't be of more help, but you shouldn't feel ashamed to use the Medicaid, its there for people who don't have other options!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:08 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• OP Here....
    I suppose that Medicaid would be my only option then if I were to get pregnant again before we are able to get married. Actually, I am not even sure if I would qualify this time. I am not employed, but I am sure they would take my fiance's income as my financial support. He knows that I do not like the idea of using government assistance yet again, so he put it to me this way: "If you think about it, I DID pay for your insurance when you were pregnant, because a good portion of my check was going to taxes for it!" That did make me feel a little less akward about it.
    Anonymous