Why is there such a war between SAHM and Working Moms?

I've done both. I won't lie, for me, working was MUCH harder but that doesn't mean being a SAHM isn't a lot of work for me.

My friend says the exact opposite. She said being a SAHM wore her out and that she is less tired and happier working outside the home.

I think different things work for different people. Why does there have to be such a war between working moms and SAHMs?

As long as it's not affecting you and the person isn't living off of tax payer dollars to do what they are doing than why does it matter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• My problem is that stay at home moms think that cleaning house is a job..It's not..It doesn't matter to me how much you clean or cook, it's not a job. It's a choice.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Anyone (SAHM or WOHM) who would partake in a war against each other must not be happy with their own choices. It's catty and ridiculous. If you're happy with what you're doing, then why care..why take such offense that someone believes they work just as hard as the next person? Choice or not..be happy with yours and don't pick apart other mothers'.
    Anonymous

• It's because some SAHMs want to be validated and some working moms feel guilty .... not all, SOME
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2010

• I honestly found my job much easier than when I became a SAHM. Might be because of the job. Some jobs are easier than others.

Anonymous

• Because no matter what, some people don't realize what works for them, doesn't work for another family. I've also done both and they are both hard as hell. When I was home, I had to cook, clean and entertain my kids, didn't watch tv all day and didn't have a computer at the time. Working outside the home is tiring, stressful, and I hate being away from my kids. We really need to stop tearing each other down and supporting each other because we ALL have the hardest job in the world, raising kids.
    Anonymous

• Aaaand Sara is why ;) What a sweet response. Have you ever STAYED home? Because I could pull out the "have you ever had to raise your own child" argument....but I wont. I am now going to ignore because SOME peoples responses are going to be PURE ignorance....and THAT is the problem. I for one COMPLETELY agree with you. My cousin was up a WALL staying home with her children. She said it was TOO hard and couldnt WAIT to get back to work! I LOVE being a SAHM and was stressed put when I had to miss field trips, awards ceremonies, and class parties. I HATED leaving my sick babies in the care of someone else while I rushed back to work. There was marriage stress because in addition to working I still did most of the house stuff, while missing the GOOD stuff, and I was the one that had to leave work if there was a child illness! My BFF loved both but HAS to work! NO ONE should judge unless they walk in their shoes!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:03 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I really do not think there is a "WAR" between SAHM's and working moms. Is this question just a result of being bored and trying to start an argument? LOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• SaraP-

This is one of the definitions of a job from dictionary.com:

"anything a person is expected or obliged to do; duty; responsibility"

I would think the duties of a SAHM fall under that definition.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I dont care what anyone else does. why should they care what I do? not their life!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I think Sara has some "issues".
    Anonymous