Temper Tanrums?

My little girl is almost 14 months. Being around her cousins, she has learned to throw really terrible fits -- screams, throws herself down, kicks, stomps, ... I've tried walking away but she either screams louder or she follows me around. I've tried a spankin (not hard). I've also tried to be calm and talk to her but of course she doesn't understand me. I know every child is differnt in the way that you approach them but what have you found that has worked best for you in this type of situation?

kinzleysmommy

Asked by kinzleysmommy at 10:55 AM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignoring the bad behaviour is the best thing I can tell you to do. No matter how loud she gets or how much she follows you I would ignore her. If that gets too much.. dont speak to her, but pick her up, put her in her room, and close the door, reopen the door when the tantrum has stopped, and explain to her why thats not okay. Gotta love it when they are testing their limits.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 4:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I know this may sound strange, but I did it with my son and it worked. I layed on the floor and pitched a fit right beside him. He stopped and looked at me like I had lost my mind. I did a few more times and he finally stopped. Good Luck
    dndmomof4

Answer by dndmomof4 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Mine usually stomps off to her room!LOL SO I am lucky. Try putting her in her room and using a baby gate to block off the door so she can't get out but you can still see her. It will be a battle but I had a friend this actually worked for. It will make you absolutely nuts for a bit but just may work. Get some earplugs!! Good Luck!
    momto1727

Answer by momto1727 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• If you know nothing is wrong with her and you are not in public then walk away and ignore her. She is only doing it to have your attention whether it be negative or positive attention that you give her.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 2:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• dd is 15 months and we did an exercise of time out for tamptrums.um-didn't work.She is too young, or not ready one. She just didn't understand and wouldn't stay in it,even for the one minute that the other mom suggested.I wish i knew how to deal with it, my dd has been throwing them more and more and is getting harder and harder to deal with.
    karrey

Answer by karrey at 4:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2008