What is the dumbest thing you thought was real

but later learned it was not real at all?

SFerber

Asked by SFerber at 12:44 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• that an adult caravan park nearby was a nudist colony I thought they meant "Adult...!" but no, just oldies not wanting kids to ruin the serenity. DOH!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 12:46 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• my sister had me convinced as a kid that all mommies had lobsters in their tummies which was why we have that little indent above our top lip... I believed it until I was 7 or 8! Haha
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:48 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My sister had me believing as a child that you could die of hot baths. So as a child, I was always worried about how hot my bath water was.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:53 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My 2nd marriage.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 12:54 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• This is really silly, but when I was little I always got really scared at bedtime. This one time, I thought I kept hearing footsteps......it took me about a half hour before I realized it was my eyelashes on the pillow. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I thought that my grandfather's ears had radar because when we were in the back seat of the car and he was driving he always knew if one of kids was going to touch his ears (he HATED to have his ears touched). I was nearly 30 years old when someone said, "Duh, didn't you ever think of the rear view mirror?" I had NEVER, in almost 30 years, thought of that. Grandpa had passed away by then and I was kind of sorry that the myth was revealed.
    lori57703

Answer by lori57703 at 12:55 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• HAH! I just thought of one. My Pop-pop used to pop his bottom teeth partially out, so that they sat on almost on his lip. My brother and I used to try to do it too, sticking out our bottom jaws..............We didn't know that his teeth weren't real.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:58 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• God
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Oh my gosh...these are a riot! I could make a book out of them...they sure do cheer you up reading them!!!

(cept the GOD one - that must have hurt - I thought christians were all good but I found out that was not true)

I believed that if you had sex when you were not supposed to be you could swell up from being nervous and get stuck together and have to go to the ER to get unstuck. (that was my mom's version anyway) If you ask her to this day she swears it is true.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 1:04 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• The Onion!!! Grr. I watched a clip on Obama that I thought was real and I even posted a rant about it! Only to find out it's a popular joke news site... I felt stupid... :P

The site: http://www.theonion.com/content/index

Looks legit, huh? Yeah... not so much.

Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 1:06 AM on Feb. 18, 2010