Why does no one ever pay attention?

Why is it when you are going through the store someone always comes up to you, and has to ask the sex o your baby? Seriously I deck him out in blue. What do I have to do make a big sign that says I'm a boy? I could maybe see it if he was in yellow or something but not blue with race cars.

AirForceMom1987

Asked by AirForceMom1987 at 1:37 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Haha I know what you mean! My son is 18 months old, has a neatly trimmed hair cut, will be out in public wearing clearly boy clothes and people STILL ask!!! I don't get it!

emslala I think it's cute that you dressed your little girl in sporty clothes though I can see how that would be confusing for outside observers.

If my next child is a girl I am sure that she'll still wear some of the hand me downs from our son so I will probably dress her in boy clothes too! Although I am sure my mother's shopping will be hard to contain so I may not have to...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:15 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• well people are so mean just last week i hear about people wanting a certain gender,and when they dont get it they still name and dress their child as if they were what they didnt get. maybie thats why.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:41 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I always dressed dd in pink with pink blankets and she was only once mistaken for a boy! I never peirced her ears or anything, however all my friends kids were always mistaken even if they were all dressed in their gender color (blue/pink)! If people
    would pay a little closer attention there wouldn't be these stupid remarks of "what a pretty girl" when you have a boy!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:49 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• When my son was a newborn an elderly man came up to us and said hes to pretty to be a boy lol. My son is beautiful and had the peachy skin with dark blue eyes so that was more of a compliment to my husband and I then anything. Just dont let it bother you some people just speak with out thinking.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 6:18 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Probably because of people like me... I have a DD, and before it was too early to tell that she is a girl just by looking at her facial area, I would dress her in boy or girl clothes. I am a tomboy (love sports, & am a medic/former firefighter), and finding "girl clothes" that have that stuff on it is very hard (especially when you are on a budget!). So I would dress her in blue outfits with baseballs & footballs & firetrucks. She often got mistaken for a boy, but I never got insulted because I knew that many people associate certain colors with certain genders.
    So maybe some people have stopped assuming gender based on outfits... which is not a bad thing, IMO :)
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 6:54 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Because they can't think of anything more intelligent to say and they desperately want to talk to somebody.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My daughter had very little hair when she was a baby and even if she was wearing pink and ruffles people said "He is such a cute little guy".UGH. But I didn't really get upset about it. There are bigger things in life to worry about,ya know.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 8:31 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I don't ask a stranger whether their baby is a boy or girl. If I am especially charmed by the baby I'll just say something such as what a beautiful baby or something like that. I wouldn't assume because a baby is dressed in blue that he or she is a boy, though. Perhaps they have older brothers and the mom is getting more use out of their baby clothes. :)

Answer by Bmat at 8:36 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I get that all the time. He will be dressed in boy clothes and I call him Thomas that seems to be a boy's name right. Well there is always somebody that says she is so cute. It's because his hair is pretty long. But his name is Thomas If people would listen a little better they might know that .
    mandicutie98

Answer by mandicutie98 at 8:39 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I had a man come up to us after our first was born and repeatedly call our little one a girl. He was dressed in blue bibs. The shirt he was wearing was white with little bugs on it. The blanket was blue, it was clearly a boy. I guess I just have pretty boys, lol!
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 8:41 AM on Feb. 18, 2010