frustraded!!!!!!!!! My 7yr old son might repeat 2nd grade, not because he doesn't know the material, but because he is simply too lazy to even try to do his work, he wants someone to help him all the time

i don't get it, he is smart and once i sit with him he does great but he won't do his work on his own, I don't know what else to do, has anyone else experience this , what helped solve it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am no expert but if he isn't able to focus, it could be that he's not ready or has ADD or, has trouble understanding at school. His hearing is okay? I'd chat with the ped about it and see what insight they can offer too. Don't panic, everything will work out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Not to be rude but do you always help him with everything. Does he get angry at you because you don't help? I think in my opinion, and I'm not sure because I don't know him, that he is just trying to see what he can get away with. It may be a discipline issue that needs to be fixed right away or it may continue and eventually he will blame it on you. Does he know what it means to repeat a grade and what will happen. I know my son acted like that when there were other things he was waiting for or wanted to do. I do also believe he may have one of the different forms of Attention Deficit Disorder. My oldest has dealt with that for years and I didn't medicate him but it was a major struggle because his problem was every 3 minutes there was something he had to do. I have to go to the bathroom, I have to sharpen my pencil, I can't find my paper, I'm hungry, I'm.......on on on. I hope you are able to help him.
    texasmamaof3

Answer by texasmamaof3 at 2:36 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I agree with the ADD thing. I have two boys that need me to sit by them to focus them as well. They are much older than your son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• He may be craving attention - or he may have trouble focusing
    I hope you don't tell him he is lazy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I'm having the same issue with my daughter right now...and honestly...it's all my fault. I do things for her that she is more than capable of doing herself. I've come to realize that I'm not doing her (or me) any favors by helping her all the time or doing things for her just because it's faster. I'm not saying that you have the same issue, but my 1st grader has been having problems reading and just not wanting to go to school or do her work. When I ask her why she just tells me that it's "too hard", so she decides to give up. Needless to say, things have changed in our house and I've had to make some adjustments too and become alot more patient. It's a process and not everything is perfect, but she's got the message and we're on a roll now. I'm just crossing my fingers that it stays that way. I hope you find your answer and things get better with your son!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My daughter has the same problem and I kept telling her to do it herself, she is smart and doesn't need my help, I will answer any questions, and I'll check it over but that she could do it and I am not doing it for her!! It was alot of tears and "I HATE YOU!!" at first but she got used to it and she is more independent now with everything else now too!!!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 10:09 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• can you tell him to do things at home and let him do it by itself or does he just do it with school work....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:42 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My son is in danger of being retained in 2nd grade also---but simply because he doesn't pass reading assesments. He passes all of his tests in class, he can read right on level with other 2nd graders, he reads to me, he reads to his brother, he simply doesn't do well on the assessment. It's so frustrating and I don't know what to do!!!
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 10:58 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• himself... not itself... sorry!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:13 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I had a student like that a few years ago. He was LAZY. He wasn't the smartest kid, but he could do what was required, just wouldn't. Repeating the grade was just what he needed to get that fire lit under his butt. He did so much better the second time around.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2010