breastfeeding question. I NEED HELP!

Over the last few weeks my 5.5 month old has become a very poor nurser. She will latch on and nurse for about 1 minute and then she will pull off, arch her back, and scream. If I try to put her back to the breast after a burp or a little break she will just arch away and scream again. If I just put her on the floor to play though she stops crying and is happy again. She does this at every nursing session during the day.

I'm at a loss of what to do. I nurse her every 3 hours during the day and I have been trying to stretch that to 3.5 hours or so to see if it makes a difference (like maybe I was just trying to feed her and she wasn't hungry or something) but it hasn't seemed to help. I have also tried nursing in a quiet, dark room to see if maybe she was just getting distracted but it has made no difference.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is she having enough wet diapers and bowel movements? When my son does that it's because he's not getting enough milk right away or when he just doesn't want to eat (drink). If she has enough wet diapers and she is at her right weight then don't worry too much. It is almost time to start giving her baby cereal and she will not go hungry. When she's hungry she will make sure you know. If you still have a concern talk to her pediatrician and they will give you better advice.
    texasmamaof3

Answer by texasmamaof3 at 2:07 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• if you are worried that your milk is building up too much then try pumping some and saving it for when you mix her cereal or when you give her a sippy cup. My son started taking a sippy cup at her age but I still breastfeed him all the time. In his cup I usually give him a little juice or water. Feeding her every 3 hours seems like too much. I fed my son every 2 hours after he came home from the hospital and then slowly went to every 3 hours and now at 10 months he nurses for a shorter time and only every 5 hours or if he requests sooner.
    texasmamaof3

Answer by texasmamaof3 at 2:11 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• It could be different things.   Check out http://www.kellymom.com/   and  http://www.drjacknewman.com/   .  Kellymom especially is full of info.      It could be that your letdown is not happening as fast as the baby wants and she gets frustrated -- it might help to pump or hand express first to get it flowing so there is immediate gratification.     Or you could offer the breast more often (say every two hours) to see if  the problem is that her hunger is so all encompassing that she doesn't want to nurse because she's busy being mad.     or it could be that she is too interesting in learning a new milestone (like rolling over) to bother with eating during the day and so wants to nurse at night when there isn't anything else interesting to do. 

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:15 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• It might also be that she's just extremely efficient now and gets all she needs very fast (are you sure its only a minute? I know when my baby went from 30 minutes of nursing to a get-on-get-out style it seemed like a minute!) As long as her dipaer count is fine she's getting enough.
    amileegirl

• I would take her to the dr to make sure she doesn't have reflux or some other digestive troubles. Also, have the dr check for thrush. If you and baby have thrush she will latch and pull off over and over due to the discomfort. If the dr doesn't find anything wrong with her, book an appointment with the lactation consultant at your hospital...they are extremely well informed when it comes to BFing and will get you back on track.

Good luck.

Oh, one other thought is are you eating something new? If you eat something the baby doesn't like (too spicey, garlicy, or acidic) they will latch and pull away. Also, around this age food allergies develop. If it happens consistantly when you eat a particular food (usually milk or soy) she could have a food allergy.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:39 AM on Feb. 18, 2010