child calling his babysitter "mom " and .......

ok , so i was at my parents , having a fun time as a family , but my parents had invited a friend of them , and the old lady (she is a senior ) was really nice and lovely . so , because she lives far , her son and daughter in law came to pick her up . we were all having a great time , and her DIL and i were talking about how wonderful being a babysitter/nanny is ! ( i loveeee kids) and she tells me taht she babysits one little boy , whose 4 yrs old and calls her 'MOM . her ds , DAD , and my mom's friend GRANDMA , and one day the little boy told her that he cannot call her mom anymore because he's mom said that she would punish him . and the BABYSITTER says to me "i think she is crazy and there's no reason for her to be mad if he calls me mommy , afterall , i spend more time with him than she does ! " omG! i was soo freakin pisssed off , but i dint tell her anything , shes soo unfair and mean , the lady is working to support

happymom1988

Asked by happymom1988 at 1:56 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• her family , and is ok if the child loves his sitter , but that doesnt mean taht she can be sooo ignorant and not see that she sin't his mom , and that if the lady is working hard for her family , taht she shouldnt be judging her , after all , she is working there , thanks to her !

a babysitter/nanny should never believe that is right to think taht they can replace the childrens' parents . is an honor to be loved by the children that we take care of , but not to take advantage , and feel like we are their mommies !

what do you think of that ?

wouldnt you be upset if your child(ren) called their sitter "mom" ?
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 1:59 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• i understand your point but it was the child that gave her the name,which tells me he is very close to her and views her greatly,but she dont need to make a comment like that,saying she spends more time with him,if she wants the title and sees no problem playing mom then she can babysit for free.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:59 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Umm, I agree with the babysitter. Mom is whoever's involved in that childs life, and makes them feel important. Too bad that wasn't a wake up call and eyeopener for her. HOW UNFAIR OF HER TO PUNISH HER CHILD FOR THAT, talk about a seriously selfish woman.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• WTF!! I would be pissed too..not at the child...at the babysitter. First of all, I would not punish my child for calling his babysitter mom, but i would correct him/her. Maybe the babysitteer is brainwashing the child..could be.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 2:00 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I don't understand why the mother isn't involved more in her child's life as she can plainly see that her hired help has taken over her role in mothering. Her loss,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Oh, and I was gonna say too. The child plainly speaks for himself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Well, the babysitter should have corrected him and said "I'm not mommy, I'm XXXX." I would have been annoyed by that too. She is the babysitter, not the mother and she is being PAID to care for him. Some people ................
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:13 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I adore the lady who looks after my twins when I have to work but in NO WAY do I think she should try to take over as "mom" in their lives. And she would agree. She has 3 kids of her own, she doesn't need to have the little ones she daycares calling her "mom'. I carried them inside MY body for 34 weeks, I cared for them when they came home from the hospital, I took a year off work to be with them every single day, I am the face they wake up to and I am the face they see before they nod off to dreamland. I am the one who hugs them and kisses them and loves them so much I would give up my life for theirs. So yes, I would take offence if my babysitter had my children calling her "mom" because SHE IS NOT THEIR MOM! I AM.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 3:58 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I have been in the babysitters situation before! I was watching 5 kids none of them in school for a women who lied to me and told me her middle son had cancer and said she needed help! I was with the children all day I woke up with them fed them breakfest and lunch. Would put them down for naps the "mother" would wake up get them outta bed feed them candy and leave. I would then put them back down for naps. Wake them, watch a movie with them, take them out to play feed them dinner give them baths and put them in bed! This went on EVERYDAY!!! For months until I found out she was lying about the cancer . They began to call me mom! I told them I was not mom I was..... Even though thier mother was a no good lying lazy useless person I would never let someone elses children call me mom!! Its just wrong! The Father was not much better! He would come home from work and then she would come home and they would leave again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Did I add I watched the 5 kids for FREE!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 AM on Feb. 18, 2010