When the the kids take charge??

Ok So I wanna know why people stopped disciplining thier kids? I was raised that when I was bad I got spankings,when I back talked or said a bad word I held a bar of soap in my mouth until my mom said I could remove it.And ya know because of it all I respect my parents! Always appreciate what they did for me. I am raising my kids how I was raised, I don't see anything wrong with it! But yesterday I seen a friend of mines 5 year old son walk up to her and say MAKE ME A SANDWICH! And she said dinner was cooking so he picthed a fit and she gave in! I just don't get why people these days let thier kids get away with murder! I say that I am the adult and they are the kids! When I say NO its NO!Some may say what about thier individuality..well my kids have thiers they pick thier shoes,clothes,hair style,food. If you don't like it don't eat it, if you have never tried it then try it!So when did the tables turn and the kids take over?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with you all the way
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:54 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• When people started being afraid to discipline their children for fear of some interfering jackass calling CPS on them. You've seen them on here...asking if they should call CPS because some frustrated mother looked at her child the wrong way.

So basically when people stopped minding their own business and started minding everyone elses!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 4:01 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I am the same as you in my teaching my kids. I think most people feel it is easier just to give in to the child, even if they are making it worse.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:22 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• A lot of parents now day believe they where not raised right. So they are trying to raise there kids differently.  That I do not agree with either. This hands off, lets talk type of raising kids will back fire on them. And I will be laughing really hard.

Answer by louise2 at 6:30 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I totally agree with you!

And as for their individuality... They can be individuals without being rude brats. BIG difference.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 6:56 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I recall that my parents were always in charge and I was always in charge of my kids ....so, yes,I agree that too many families nowdays are being run by the kids. We never co-slept and we had our kids in their cribs sleeping all night from the beginning. We decided their bedtimes. We had a routine family dinner and evryone was home. Nobody hung out with friends at the Mall --they were home doing homework or chores and on weekends, we did things as a family. They were involved with getting good grades, playing tennis or soccer and inviting friends to our house where we made the rules. There was no drinking. No smoking. No pot, NO SEX! We were "strict" and my kids appreciate that . Nobody got pregnant. They went to college. THEN they got married. They are grown up and have families and they know we raised them to be good citizens!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:30 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I remember my oldest daughter wanted a cookie before dinner and when I said NO she had a fit . I sent her to her room and she cried so hard she threw up. I didn't back down. I just told her a COOKIE was not worth all the crying and throwing up. That was something she remembered. She was always a very stubbiorn kid and she is now a very stubborn adult but she has learned to not push her luck.She has "wised up". LOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Way to go Lindalu2! You sound just like me. That's the way I was raised and the way I'm raising my kids!

Answer by missanc at 11:34 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I agree that parents need to learn to parent. I do understand that it is hard. I never was spanked and never had the soap in the mouth. I also RARELY got in trouble. My mom let us question her respectfully. She would explain the reasoning for the rule or decision, if we had an argument that actually held water, then she would change her ruling. I have always respected my mother. She is a great mother! However, I know that I was not a typical kid in the way that I didnt get in a lot of trouble. As a little kid, I dont remember too much....but I know my mom would not let me back talk or be rude. I will not give in to fits. That is when kids start to walk all over you.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I agree. I'm raising my girls the same way I was raised - with a healthy respect for my parents and authority.

thankfully they're pretty good kids, not perfect but pretty good. and they KNOW the consequences.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2010