Airport to begin hand swabs....Is it necessary?

Airport to begin hand swabs
Thursday, February 18, 2010 3:14 AM
By Marla Matzer Rose
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Be prepared for a new security test if you plan to fly this spring.

The Transportation Security Administration will begin swabbing the hands of passengers chosen at random to test for explosives residue.

TSA spokesman Jonathan Allen said people traveling through Port Columbus and other U.S. airports should expect to start seeing such tests within weeks.

The use of hand swabs was spurred by the failed Christmas Day airline bombing attempt in Detroit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It sounds like it is a good idea. The only problem I have with it is that they are announcing to the world what they are doing! Sure, they aren't divulging exactly what residues their little machines will be able to detect, but how many are there? There are still ways to get around this. If Big Sis was SERIOUS about fighting terrorism, she needs to learn to keep her mouth shut so the terrorists don't how ahead of time how to avoid detection. But, then when O is telling the world our war strategy, what can we really expect from his appointees?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:04 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• So, now they will have a buddy make and load their 'device'?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:00 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Seriously, Grly....those TSA people are so on the ball--too bad the ball is deflated! LOL :o)

4
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:50 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Exactly what kind of residue are they looking for? gunpowder? If that's the case my husband and I will never be able to fly, being that he is a police officer that is always at the range and I shoot fairly often myself.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 8:56 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Whatever works. We all complain about terrorism...maybe this will stop something from happening. I wouldn't close my mind to it. And those of you who are planning to fly, put your guns away so you won't test positive. You CAN live without your weapons for a while,can't you? LOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• "You CAN live without your weapons for a while,can't you? LOL. "

Her husband is a cop, you idiot!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• mhaney. GSR is undetectable after you wash your hands.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 10:48 AM on Feb. 18, 2010